Unpaid internship - Oakland - Alameda County Public Health Dept - GIS

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2009
      Alameda County Public Health Department
      Location: 1000 Broadway, 5th Floor Oakland CA 94607
      Payment: Unpaid
      Date to be Completed: May 15, 2009
      Category: GIS
      Contact: Matt Beyers, matt.beyers@..., (510) 267-3225

      We would like an intern to help with address matching to Census
      geographies (especially blocks) and cities. Also, development of updated
      block-level population estimates are needed.

      This would help in geocoding, in that we will know that addresses exist
      and where the addresses are. This will lead to having more confidence in
      the rates we publish by Census tract and city/place and faster geocoding
      in the future. Also, we will be able to do better spatial smoothing of our
      denominators.

      This would entail taking the various address lists we have from our GIS
      layers, running them through an updated USPS database, and mapping them.
      The intern would have to work with 1) the Alameda County enterprise GIS
      squad and their consultants to update their address layer; 2) the various
      cities in the county to see which addresses fall in their jurisdictions
      and what housing developments have been made.

      No experience with GIS is necessary. We will provide a basic understanding
      of GIS. Attention to minute detail and ability to work on at-times tedious
      processes is necessary.