Study abroad opportunity in South Asia - CapAsia VI, in Spring 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 19, 2009
      ----- Forwarded by Asha Agrawal/SJSU on 01/19/2009 08:42 AM -----

      Ball State University is offering its next South Asia field study
      semester, CapAsia VI, in Spring 2010

      CapAsia is a unique field semester with national and international
      reputation. This 10-year old program provides an extraordinary
      opportunity to experience the socially, culturally, and historically
      different South Asia, and to develop a critical understanding of the
      participants' own cultures and environments. The program is open to
      upper-level undergraduates and graduate students with an interest in
      social and cultural aspects of urban spaces and built environments. The
      participants will explore what do they build --cities and built
      environments-- in South Asia, how, and why. They will focus on how
      regular people create spaces for their cultural practices and daily
      activities in selected places. The emphasis is on learning by doing.

      According to the tentative program, the "Planning to Learn" project will
      be conducted in Ahmedabad with the planing students of CEPT --one of the
      two leading schools of planning in India. The "Building to Learn" project
      will be carried out in Nepal in collaboration with the Nepal Engineering
      College. On our way to Asia, we will explore self-built settlements in
      Istanbul (gechekandos). While we are there, we will visit Hanoi which
      will be celebrating its 1000th birthday in 2010. While the program
      stresses on the depth of experience/ learning, the participants will work
      with many student groups, faculty, academics, and professionals from a
      number of different countries in Asia.

      Applications:
      Received until all positions are filled
      Review begins: February 15, 2009