Kids book about planning

  • timothyhalbur
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 8, 2008
      Hi SJSUers-

      Chris Steins and I at Planetizen just finished putting together a kids
      book about urban planning, explaining the field (roughly) to young
      kids. It's a picture book, and I'm happy with how it came out. Take a
      look:

      http://www.planetizen.com/kidsbook

      Here's the press release:

      ###

      For Immediate Release: December 08, 2009
      Contact: Tim Halbur, Planetizen, tim@planetizen or 323-930-1569

      The Perfect Children's Planning Gift

      Just in time for the holiday season, Planetizen is pleased to announce
      the release of its first book for kids, "Where Things Are, From Near
      to Far." The book was written by Planetizen Managing Editor Tim Halbur
      and Co-founder Chris Steins in hopes that kids will learn more about
      the fascinating career of urban planning at an early age.

      While playing in the city park, little Hugo wonders, "Who put these
      buildings here?" Hugo's mother leads him on a whirlwind trip through
      the city, the country, and everything in-between to explain the
      engaging book is an easy introduction to the world of urban planning,
      and illustrates that "every building has its place."

      The book is based on the urban-to-rural transect, which divides cities
      into six different zones ranging from rural countryside to dense
      skyscrapers. The transect is a great way to look at the building
      blocks of a city, and to start thinking about how all the pieces of a
      city get planned in relation to one another. The urban transect was
      originally created by Andrés Duany, a Miami architect.

      Every day, city planners help shape our cities and towns -- making
      streets safe for pedestrians, improving building designs so they meet
      the needs of citizens, improving traffic flow, creating bike paths and
      city parks, and preserving historic buildings. This book is a tribute
      to the work that they do in hopes that kids will learn more about this
      fascinating career at an early age.

      This fun to read, 22-page, full-color, 6"x9" hardcover book features
      hand-colored illustrations by artist David Ryan. The book was inspired
      by Steins' desire for a book to introduce planning to his twin
      three-year-old boys.

      The book is now available for pre-order on the Planetizen website.
      Books pre-ordered by 3pm PST Monday, 12/15/2008, are guaranteed to be
      delivered by Monday, 12/22/2008 in time for the holidays.

      http://www.planetizen.com/kidsbook

      Samples high-resolutions images are available to qualified media.
      Please contact Tim Halbur.

      ###