Lecture By SJSU Enviromental Studies Professor, Dr. Rachel O'Malley, Sat Dec 13

  • relbdour
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5, 2008
      Community Gardens, Local Foods and Urban Agriculture: Bringing Back
      the Valley of Heart's Delight

      Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Library
      150 E. San Fernando St. - 2nd Floor, Room 255
      408-808-2397

      Sat, Dec 13
      1:00 PM - 2:00 PM

      Very recently, "Silicon Valley" was known as the "Valley of Heart's
      Delight," because of its stunning climate, rich soils and bountiful
      harvests. Through the 1970's, '80's, and '90's, Valley dwellers
      focussed more on engineering and business than on our agricultural
      heritage, but the new millennium has seen a renewed interest in
      community gardens, backyard gardens, locally produced food, and
      healthy, sustainable living. This program will introduce participants
      to the many opportunities to eat locally and even grow our own food
      in Santa Clara County. We will also discuss new research on the
      social and environmental effects of maintaining "food security" by
      producing food near our urban centers.

      Presented by Dr. Rachel O'Malley, Chair, Dept. of Environmental
      Studies, San Jose State University. Hosted by General Collections. Co-
      sponsored by Friends of the King Library. Co-sponsored by SJSU
      Environmental Studies Department.