Re: Article: I have seen the future, and it's Copenhagen

  • Irvin Dawid
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2008
      "Gabriella Condie" <luciente@...> wrote:

      > Article gives a great history of how Copenhagen incrementally
      > transformed itself from a city choked in car traffic to one reveling in
      > folks walking and biking for most of their trips.
      ------------------------------------

      Yep - Gehl is has a great message he's spreading, though it's still
      uncertain how much it will gain a toehold here in the US - as
      apparently it has in Montreal and Melbourne (as well as Copenhagen).

      The article is now on Planetizen:

      Architect Hopes To Spread 'Pedestrianizaton'

      The transformation of Copenhagen from a car-choked thoroughfare to a
      lively, pedestrian center began in 1962 with the closing of the
      Strøget, and folks walked and biked in record numbers. Now architect
      Jan Gehl hopes to spread this new urban culture.
      http://planetizen.com/node/36332

      (with a link to SJSU MURPS if you click on Gabriella)