Article: I have seen the future, and it's Copenhagen

  • Gabriella Condie
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2008
      Article gives a great history of how Copenhagen incrementally
      transformed itself from a city choked in car traffic to one reveling in
      folks walking and biking for most of their trips.

      http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20081018.TURNER18//TPSt
      ory/Focus
      <http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20081018.TURNER18/TPSt
      ory/Focus>

      <http://mail.care2.com/Attach/5/7/4/574A3897-AB52-42A8-8EE0-28CC6498B6E9
      _luciente_wildmail_com/DSCN8670.JPG>

    • Irvin Dawid
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 3, 2008
        "Gabriella Condie" <luciente@...> wrote:

        > Article gives a great history of how Copenhagen incrementally
        > transformed itself from a city choked in car traffic to one reveling in
        > folks walking and biking for most of their trips.
        ------------------------------------

        Yep - Gehl is has a great message he's spreading, though it's still
        uncertain how much it will gain a toehold here in the US - as
        apparently it has in Montreal and Melbourne (as well as Copenhagen).

        The article is now on Planetizen:

        Architect Hopes To Spread 'Pedestrianizaton'

        The transformation of Copenhagen from a car-choked thoroughfare to a
        lively, pedestrian center began in 1962 with the closing of the
        Strøget, and folks walked and biked in record numbers. Now architect
        Jan Gehl hopes to spread this new urban culture.
        http://planetizen.com/node/36332

        (with a link to SJSU MURPS if you click on Gabriella)