West Coast Student Summit on Hunger and Homelessness: Students Using the Tools to Build a Better Future

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2003
      To: Urban Planning Students and Faculty
      From: Dayana Salazar

      FYI: This conference in Irvine has a fee of $45 that includes all

      > summit materials, 3 meals plus snacks, and housing. It is coming up soon!

      West Coast Student Summit on Hunger and Homelessness
      STUDENTS USING THE TOOLS TO BUILD A BETTER FUTURE
      University of California, Irvine
      February 8-9, 2003

      Whether you volunteer in a soup kitchen, educate
      students, or work with a statewide anti-hunger and
      homelessness organization, you are aware of the
      escalating challenges facing our country's poor.
      As the American public battles through a depressed
      economy, millions of people are struggling to find the
      basic tools of survival including food, clothing, and
      housing. In fact, during the last year, the number of
      Americans living below the poverty line increased by
      1.3 million, bringing the total to 32.9 million
      people, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. And, in
      your own region, recent studies have found that the
      highest rates of hunger in the nation are found in the
      Western states, Oregon being at the top of the list
      with 5.8% of household experiencing hunger.
      These problems require students to mobilize their
      communities, reach out to those experiencing hunger
      and homelessness, and stand up as leaders and
      community service providers.

      JOIN US!
      Inspired by our national conference, amazing
      student organizers, and last year's Northeast Student
      Summit, the National Student Campaign Against Hunger
      and Homelessness will host the West Coast Student
      Summit on Hunger and Homelessness at the University of
      California, Irvine. On February 8-9, 2003 more than
      150 students, campus staff and community leaders will
      come together for a weekend of workshops, diverse
      panel discussions, issue briefings, new programming
      ideas, networking opportunities, and inspiring and
      informative speakers.

      The Summit will sharpen students' skills and help
      unite the west coast region in the movement to
      eradicate hunger and homelessness. If you missed our
      national Conference or want to learn how to become a
      more effective volunteer, organizer, or activist, you
      should not miss this event!

      At the Summit, you will have the opportunity to:
      *Be inspired by some of the most effective hunger and
      homelessness advocates and organizers in the country.
      *Participate in skill-building and issue-based
      workshops with topics ranging from planning an amazing
      Hunger Cleanup to running an advocacy campaign.
      *Network with students from across the West Coast to
      share success stories, discover strategies that have
      worked on campuses similar to your own, and learn to
      establish and run the projects that you have always
      wanted to get off the ground.
      *Learn from exciting and informative panels with
      topics including Hunger in America, Homeless Families
      and Children, Federal Legislative Priorities, Student
      Service and Activism, and Local Organizing.
      *Hear the incredible stories of homeless and formerly
      homeless individuals at the Faces of Homelessness
      Panel.

      The registration fee is only $45 for students and
      $60 for non-students. This fee includes all summit
      materials, 3 meals plus snacks, and housing. You will
      soon be able to register online at
      www.studentsagainsthunger.org .
      For more information, please visit our website or
      contact us at 800-664-8647.

      WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU AT THE SUMMIT!

      National Student Campaign Against Hunger and
      Homelessness
      233 N. Pleasant St. Suite 32
      Amherst, MA 01002
      p 800-664-8647 or 413-253-6417