FT job - San Jose - Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition - Program Director
- [From http://bikesiliconvalley.org/about/opportunities%5d
The Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition (SVBC) is a small educational and
advocacy nonprofit organization operating primarily in San Mateo and Santa
Clara Counties, with the mission to promote bicycling as a mode of
transportation and for recreation. Below are opportunities to join us in
SVBC runs several growing programs and events that the Program Director
will manage directly. These include encouragement programs such as Bike to
Work Day and Share the Road as well as Bicyclist Education for both youth
and adults. Work duties will occur in a variety of environments?the SVBC
office, at home, and in the community. This dynamic working environment
will provide very fulfilling work for the appropriate candidate. The
Program Director reports to the Executive Director (ED).
* Responsible for implementation and overall success of programs. The
vast majority of the candidate?s time will be spent on direct
implementation of these programs, and the candidate will need to assume a
strong leadership role and be able to make independent decisions with
confidence. The main programs and tasks currently include the following:
o Lead SVBC?s development of Share the Road program components,
add events and manage program growth.
o Continue and expand implementation of yearly Bike to Work Day.
o Lead SVBC?s development and implementation of a comprehensive
Bike Education program, to include both adult and child-appropriate
* Manage the (future) program assistant position.
* Coordinate logistics, supplies and volunteers for all SVBC events:
Bike to Work Day, Share the Road events, outreach tabling, bike valets,
Winter Party, etc.
* Coordinate fundraising auctions including solicitation of items and
donor tracking and thank-you?s.
* Work with the ED to manage budgets and reporting requirements, work
with other administrative and communication staff as appropriate.
* Ensure complete file documentation of programmatic activities.
* Create an organizational culture that values fun and gives people
the opportunity to connect around cycling.
* Coordinate events such as Bike to Work Day, parties, rides, member
meetings, and volunteer nights with a focus on sustaining and increasing
* Recruit members using membership drives and other strategies to grow
* Develop and maintain effective membership retention and
* Work with the ED to establish, implement and monitor annual program
and membership goals.
* Provide the ED with regular updates of program activities, and
evaluate program effectiveness.
* Assist the ED with organizational development by initiating,
exploring, and defining criteria for new program design.
Public Relations, Outreach and Development
* Represent the organization in a professional manner.
* Support the organization and increase community awareness of SVBC
through speaking at community meetings, as well as developing
relationships with members of the nonprofit, business, and political
* Write or coordinate periodic articles for website and newsletter.
* Work with the ED to prepare information for grant requests and grant
Other projects as assigned
* As this is a small nonprofit environment, staff members all take on
various projects at times that are not necessarily part of their primary
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* Interest in and support of SVBC mission and goals.
* Outgoing individual with ability to see and convey the big picture
as well as manage the minute details.
* Impeccable organizational and project management skills, significant
attention to detail and follow-through, ability to work on multiple tasks
in a growing and changing environment.
* Excellent communication skills with the ability to quickly and
positively establish rapport, build relationships, and gain confidence and
credibility with a diverse range of individuals.
* Mature, self-aware, high-energy, proactive, goal-focused leader with
ability to learn and make decisions quickly, and to anticipate and perform
* Ability to be flexible and adaptable, and maintain professional
decorum under stress (with humor).
* Ability to excel in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment and
desire to work with volunteers who provide and need varying levels of
* 4 years relevant experience, BS or BA degree preferred. Relevant
experience might include project management, volunteer management, other
nonprofit work, or marketing.
* The ability to handle non-traditional and sometimes demanding work
hours including appearances at community meetings.
* A road-worthy vehicle, valid California drivers license and proof of
* Solid understanding of a variety of software programs, including MS
Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
* Attention to detail and willingness to handle administrative work
that accompanies program management.
* Knowledge of bicyclist skills and experience with bicycling.
* Knowledge of Peninsula communities.
* Spanish speaking.
Hours: full time
Salary: $55-62,000 commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Closing: Open until filled. Start: ASAP.
To Apply: Send resume with cover letter to jobs@....
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]