Fwd: USDOT summer transportation internship info

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 28, 2003
      ----- Forwarded by Asha Weinstein/SJSU on 01/28/2003 08:54 AM -----

      *******PLEASE FORWARD TO ANYONE WHO MIGHT BE INTERESTED!!*******

      Hi, everyone:

      I wanted to pass on information about a program through the U.S. Dept. of
      Transportation (DOT) called the Summer Transportation Internship Program
      for Diverse Groups (STIPDG). It's a great 10-week program that places
      students (graduate and undergraduate) in various U.S. DOT agencies around
      the country. The compensation is generous ($4,000 for undergraduate
      students, $5,000 for graduate students). The program also provides
      housing for interns during their internships and covers travel expenses to
      and from assignment locations. In addition, they fly students in field
      offices out to D.C. the last week of the internship program to convene
      with the other interns, go on field trips, present research projects and
      papers, get information about career opportunities, and meet with agency
      representatives.

      I had a fabulous time. I established relationships with some great
      mentors and also got a jump start on my thesis project. I'm now very
      interested in possibly pursuing a federal career in transportation.

      Please let folks know about this. The link to the program site is below.
      Also, I've included a link to the Presidential Management Intern (PMI)
      Program if people want to start thinking about that for next year.

      I'm happy to answer any questions people may have about STIPDG. My
      assignment was with a field office of the Federal Highway Administration
      (FHWA) and a regional office of the Federal Transit Administration (FTA).
      Other folks in my program interned with FTA and the Federal Railroad
      Administration (FRA) in D.C.

      Thanks much,
      Camille Fink

      Useful links

      Summer Transportation Internship Program for Diverse Groups (STIPDG): <www.fhwa.dot.gov/education/stipdg.htm> Program information and applications are available on this site. Applications are due on February 28, 2003. Note: The program works to diversify transportation by providing
      internships to individuals from groups underrepresented in the field.
      However, all qualified applicants are considered regardless of race,
      color, religion, national origin, gender, age, disability, or marital
      status.

      Presidential Management Intern (PMI) Program: <www.pmi.opm.gov/> This is a program for recent graduates. Applications are due in late
      October for students graduating the following year.

      U.S. Department of Transportation, FTA, and FHWA: <www.dot.gov/>, <www.fta.dot.gov/>, <www.fhwa.dot.gov/>

      Camille N.Y. Fink
      M.A. Candidate
      UCLA Department of Urban Planning