New planning magazine looking for contributors (fwd)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 28, 2003
      ----- Forwarded by Asha Weinstein/SJSU on 01/28/2003 08:19 AM -----

      Here's some info on a new planning magazine, entitled The Next American
      City, which is seeking contributions from "the upcoming generation of
      leaders and thinkers". maybe some of us fit that description? anyway, if
      you're interested, here's the blurb:

      The First Magazine Dedicated To The Future Of Our Metropolitan

      We've had inner city decay. We've had suburban sprawl. We've had edge
      cities. What comes next? Better suburbs? A mass return to the center
      city? Or something completely different? To find out, read "The Next
      American City," a new magazine launching February 10, 2003. Visit
      http://www.americancity.org for details.

      This new publication is written by the upcoming generation of urban
      leaders and thinkers, and explores the challenges facing this country's
      cities and suburbs:
      their design, their people, their governance, their economies. But it's
      not just another analysis of the current state of affairs. This magazine
      looks at
      the present with an aim to divining the future.

      The hallmark of "The Next American City" is clear, concise, and
      writing. Its pages provide regular reports, reviews, and interviews on
      relevant to the future of American cities and suburbs, including, but
      limited to, transportation, urban economies, planning and development,
      architecture, housing, environmental issues, labor and workforce
      development, education, crime, and religion. This magazine illuminates
      trends and innovations in these fields in a style accessible to all
      people with an interest in the city, shying away from technical jargon,
      meaningless images and esoteric academic debates.

      It's an engaging conversation, one you want to join: a controversial
      dialogue about the shape urban environments can and cannot, should and
      should not, take
      in the decades to come. To learn more, or to subscribe, please visit:

      Seth A. Brown

      209 W. 108th St., Apt. 11
      New York, NY 10025