"An Eye on the Street" - lecture by Ben Grant at SPUR on 6/12

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2008
      (From http://www.spur.org/calendar_detail.asp?EventID=1488)

      "An Eye on the Street" -- lecture by Ben Grant on 6/12/2008 at 12:30 PM

      A noontime forum, held at SPUR, 312 Sutter St. (at Grant), Fifth Floor,
      from 12:30 to 1:30 pm. We are located close to the Powell St. BART station
      and several Muni lines.

      Feel free to bring a lunch.

      SPUR Forums are open to the public, free for members and $5 for
      non-members.

      The quality of San Francisco's public realm ? the backbone of a walkable,
      transit-oriented, and democratic city ? is dragged down by mediocre
      streets, especially in our beloved residential districts. What's keeping
      us from "connecting the dots" to create a continuous network of
      pedestrian-oriented streets? The building-street interface is the basic
      building block of city form, and San Francisco's residential architecture
      poses some unique challenges. In this follow up to the Urbanist's June
      cover story, urban designer and CITY-SPACE co-founder Benjamin Grant
      examines the San Francisco pattern in light of classic residential
      solutions.