RE: [SJSU_MURPs] re: Celebration of Affordable Housing January 24 th

  • Sean Charpentier
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 21, 2003

      Beth:

      The text of the invitation is included below.

      Date: January 24th, 2003

      Time: 4-6 pm

      Location: Pensione Esperanza, 598 Columbia  San Jose (corner of Bird and Columbia south of San Carlos)

      R.S.V.P.: 408.282.1125.

      Thank you,

      Sean Charpentier

      (408) 294-2100 ext. 223

      TEXT

      ######

      January 16, 2003

      Dear Friend,

      Over the last several years, our community has come together to make major strides in addressing the lack of affordable housing in Silicon Valley.

      Our grassroots movement fought for the creation of the City of San José's Department of Housing, which has supported the development of thousands of affordable homes. We convinced San José to invest an additional $25 million toward housing for extremely low-income members of our community. Last year, the County of Santa Clara established an Office of Affordable Housing and committed $18 million toward affordable housing development. Our local campaign to support the passage of Proposition 46, the largest housing bond in California history, was recognized as one of the best in the entire state.

      Silicon Valley Citizens for Affordable Homes, the Santa Clara County Collaborative on Affordable Housing and Homeless Issues, and the Affordable Housing Network invite you to attend a Celebration of Affordable Housing on January 24th from 4-6PM at Pensione Esperanza, 598 Columbia Avenue, San José [one block south of San Carlos Street, at the corner of Bird and Columbia]. Refreshments will be provided.  We will recognize the tremendous efforts of activists and leaders who have invested their time and vision toward working on our region's housing needs and present an overview of housing issues in 2003.

      We also intend to launch a major push to establish a National Housing Trust Fund, a federal source of revenue for the production, preservation, and rehabilitation of affordable housing.  The initial goal of the National Housing Trust Fund is to build, rehabilitate, and preserve 1,500,000 units of housing by 2010.  Over the next 90 days, we need to assist our congressional supporters of the National Housing Trust Fund by raising public awareness and securing valuable public and private endorsements of the legislation.

      This is not just another meeting to attend.  This is a chance to recognize our collective impact and build on the momentum you have created. Please join us.

      To RSVP please call 408.282.1125.

      Sincerely,

      Chris Block                                          Barry Del Buono

      Charities Housing Development                       Emergency Housing Consortium

      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 21, 2003
        <PRE>Thanks, Sean. I'll rsvp.