Sustainability - Climate Change Nexus, Feb. 28th

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 22, 2008

      ----- Forwarded by Asha Agrawal/SJSU on 02/22/2008 04:29 PM -----

      the BAY AREA ALLIANCE FOR SUSTAINABLE COMMUNITIES presents

       Strengthening the
      Sustainable Communities -
      Climate Change Nexus

      Can we both create thriving communities
      and protect the climate?

      join us next Thursday, Feb. 28, 8:30 to 11:30 am

      Come hear about exciting initiatives underway in the region - Green Collar Jobs, the Regional Transportation Plan (RTP), FOCUS (www.bayareavision.org), and PG&E's new business sustainability initiatives - that deliver triple bottom line returns.

      These timely initiatives need your support to make a positive difference in the San Francisco Bay Area!  Likewise, find out how these initiatives can help organizations and communities meet their sustainability and climate change goals.

      Will Travis, Executive Director of the Bay Conservation and Development Commission will begin the morning by presenting a Climate Change Strategy for the San Francisco Bay region.  Four amazing panelists will follow (see agenda below for details), describing each initiative in detail and how you can get involved.

      We will also update you on the Bay Area Alliance for Sustainable Communities’ 2008 goals.  Learn about opportunities for joining our working groups, and tapping into a network of environmental, business, and social equity groups that can help to advance your goals.

      PLEASE RSVP ASAP TO: allison@...   SPACE IS LIMITED

      Agenda

      8:30          Registration

      9:00          Welcome, BAASC’s updated mission and goals
                        Allison Quaid, Bay Area Alliance for Sustainable Communities

      9:20          Climate Change Strategy for the San Francisco Bay Region
      Will Travis, Bay Conservation & Development Commission

      9:45          Sustainable Communities and Climate Change Nexus:                        Bay Area Initiatives

      ·       Regional Transportation Plan
              Connie Galambos Malloy and Lindsay Imai, Urban Habitat

      ·        Green Collar Jobs
               Ian Kim, Ella Baker Center for Human Rights

      ·        FOCUS  (www.bayareavision.org)
               Ken Kirkey, Association of Bay Area Governments

      ·        Business Sustainability Initiatives
               Jenna Olsen, Pacific Gas & Electric

         11:00         Climate Change & Smart Growth Working Groups convene

         11:30          End

      Location:       Bay Conservation and Development Commission
                           50 California Street, Suite 2600 (26th floor)
                           San Francisco, CA

                           BART: Embarcadero Stop

      Questions:     Call Allison at 415-352-3648  or
                           email allison@...

      Bay Area Alliance for Sustainable Communities

    • Irvin Dawid
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 24, 2008
        Folks,
        This Thurs event, "Strengthening the Sustainable Communities..." looks
        excellent, and you can take a Baby Bullet it to it from SJ....

        If you don't want to go to SF on Thurs, consider attending "Health and
        the Built Environment: Considerations for General Plans" in Mtn. View,
        accessible via VTA #522 and a short walk from Caltrain's San Antonio
        station (DON'T take a baby bullet...none stop there!)

        Health and the Built Environment

        Considerations for General Plans

        February 28, 2008, 9:00 a.m. - 11:45 a.m.

        Silicon Valley Community Foundation

        2440 West El Camino Real, Suite #300

        Mountain View, CA 94040

        Make the connection between healthy communities and the built

        environment. Speakers will discuss why land use policies and general
        plans are important to good health, and how public health advocates and

        planners can work together for healthy, sustainable communities.

        Who should attend: Interested Residents, Elected Officials, Policy Makers,

        Planning Professionals, Housing Developers, Neighborhood Associations,

        Public Health Professionals, Community Stakeholders.

        Featured Speakers:

        Dr. Martin Fenstersheib, Santa Clara County Public Health Officer

        Robert Ogilvie, Ph.D Program Director, Public Health Law and Policy

        Agenda:

        9:00 -9:30 Registration and Light Snacks

        9:30 -11:30 Speaker presentations and small group discussion

        11:30-11:45 Next Steps and Evaluation

        Please R.S.V.P. to: Linda Leu at 408-299-5053

        or email: linda.leu@...

        Regards,
        Irvin Dawid

        --- In SJSU_MURPs@yahoogroups.com, Asha Agrawal