FT job - San Francisco Community Land Trust - Organizational Associate
----- Forwarded by Asha Agrawal/SJSU on 01/22/2008 09:27 AM -----
San Francisco Community Land Trust Seeks to Hire Organizational Associate
About the San Francisco Community Land Trust:
The San Francisco Community Land Trust (SFCLT) is a member-based nonprofit organization whose
mission is to create permanently affordable, resident controlled housing for low- and moderate-
income people in San Francisco through community ownership of the land. Land trusts have been
used widely, particularly on the East Coast, as an instrument to protect investments in affordable
housing by separating ownership of the land from the housing units. SFCLT aims to build community
and enhance the quality of life for San Francisco residents through tenant organizing, policy
advocacy, and the development of permanently affordable homeownership units. The organization
works in partnership with residents, community groups, and local government to preserve
multifamily housing by converting properties from rental units into resident-owned, limited-equity
housing cooperatives.. Established in 2002 SFCLT operates as a voluntary organization with a very
active Board of Directors and volunteer committees: Project Committee, Outreach Committee, and
Fundraising Committee. SFCLT is currently managing the rehabilitation and coop conversion project
at 53 Columbus Avenue in Chinatown.
SFCLT's 3-Year Goals:
1. Create permanently affordable homeownership units through the acquisition and conversion of
2. Develop an education program for residents and members to become successful homeowners,
property managers and cooperative members.
3. Influence and utilize public policy to support more affordable homeownership in San Francisco
through the use of the CLT model, while maintaining the organization's core mission and grassroots
4. Expand community outreach and membership throughout San Francisco.
Summary of Position:
SFCLT seeks an Organizational Associate to help build and maintain a strong, well-functioning,
community-based organization. The Organizational Associate is hired by and reports to the
Organizational Director and Board of Directors. Working closely with the Director, the Associate is
responsible for the overall coordination of our member services, outreach and education programs.
Other duties include providing support to the outreach and project development committees, as well as
some administrative work. The ideal candidate will have experience working with people from
diverse socio-economic and cultural backgrounds, will be passionate about the organization's
mission, and experienced in community organizing.
SFCLT Organizational Associate: Job Responsibilities
Member/Resident Services (40%):
-Assist with the design of the SFCLT Education Program (CLT model, Homeownership and
- Coordinate all education trainings for residents and members, pre- and post-conversion
- Act as a liaison to all external partner agencies that provide education and counseling services to
residents and members
-Support the monitoring and evaluation of the education program
-Support the outreach committee by coordinating meetings, orientation workshops and other
-Maintain organizational member/contact database
-Manage and maintain relationships with SFCLT leaseholders
-Coordinate the re-sale process, including pricing and marketing.
Project Management (20%):
-Serve as liaison with property management company
-Support owner's representative with project development activities as needed
-Perform resident income qualification and program eligibility assessments
-Support Project Development Committee by attending meetings and coordinating volunteer
members on activities
Community Relations (20%):
-Liaison to community based activities in support of affordable housing
-Attend public meetings
-Attend community meetings
-Build and develop relationships with affordable housing organizations and groups
-Build and develop relationships with public officials in the housing area
-Work with Organizational Director (OD) in writing newsletters, web content, preparing for events,
media relations etc.
Fundraising and administrative (20%)
-Assist OD with grant writing and reporting on education and outreach activities
-Other administrative duties as necessary, including but not limited to general office support.
The Ideal Candidate will possess excellent skills in community organizing and project management,
- Minimum of 2 years experience with affordable housing or community development organization.
- Minimum of 1 year experience with a community-based effort that involved people of diverse
socio-economic and cultural backgrounds.
-Minimum of 1 year direct experience with community organizing and/or popular education around
social justice issues.
- Leadership skills, including good public speaking skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to plan and manage a service-oriented program, including budget
Ability to quickly establish credibility and build strong working relationships with very diverse groups
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Results-driven and team-oriented work style.
- Proficient user of Microsoft Office software programs (Word, Excel) and Internet research.
- Personal knowledge of SFCLT; local candidates given preference.
While not required, skills or experience in any of the following areas/activities are desirable:
- Bachelor's Degree;
- Working with low- and moderate-income households
- Public relations, marketing or preparing publications
- Bilingual/bi-literate in Cantonese, Mandarin, Spanish, or Tagalog.
- Knowledge of web, desktop publishing and other software
Salary and Benefits
Salary: $40,000 to $50,000 a year FTE, depending on experience
This position is currently funded at 0.6 FTE (24 hours/week). Current salary is $24,000 to
$30,000/year at 24 hours/week. This position is designed to grow to full time as funding becomes
The SFCLT offers vacation, sick leave and health benefits.
Our goal is to have this position filled by 2/15/08. Please send resume and cover letter ASAP to
Juan Blanco Prada
San Francisco Community Land Trust
PO BOX 420982
San Francisco, CA 94142
(415) 738 8682