Call for Papers - Vol. 8 of Projections, MIT's Journal of Planning

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 12, 2007

      ----- Forwarded by Asha Agrawal/SJSU on 10/12/2007 03:59 PM -----

      Dear Colleagues,

      I am one of the Editors-in-Chief of MIT's Journal of Planning, Projections. Volume 8 of our journal focuses on the theme "JUSTICE, EQUITY, AND SUSTAINABILITY" and will be released in June 2008. We are currently welcoming papers for this publication and hope you will be interested in this volume and in submitting a paper.

      I would also like to ask for your help in sharing this call for papers around your institution and beyond, with students and faculty members. The deadline for submitting papers is December 14, 2007. You can find more detailed instructions in the document attached [See below, instead of attachment - AWA].

      Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

      Many thanks in advance.

      Best,
      anna livia brand
      phd candidate
      massachusetts institute of technology
      department of urban studies and planning
      77 massachusetts avenue, 10-485
      cambridge, ma 02139
      _____________

      JUSTICE, EQUITY, AND SUSTAINABILITY
      CALL FOR PAPERS

      Emerging research and practice recognizes that sustainable communities need to be built on a foundation of justice and equity. Environmental and social degradation are closely coupled to power inequity, thus compelling academics, researchers, and practitioners to conceptualize and build sustainable communities and places with these essential elements in mind. Within and between rural and urban communities and places, in developed and developing nations, achieving sustainability demands putting equity rights at the center of planning and implementation.

      Volume 8 of Projections will bring together articles from academics and practitioners to theorize, critically reflect on past experiences, and examine the intersection of justice and sustainability as a framework for planning and action. We welcome critical analysis, theoretical papers, plans, observations, and other forms of reflections on the following wide variety of topics including:

      • Urban and rural sustainability;
      •New directions in public policy;
      •Spatial justice;
      •Environmental equity and natural resource management;
      •Basic service provision;
      •Social movements and activism;
      •Rights-based planning; and
      •Citizen and community participation.

      Manuscripts from all disciplines and diverse methodologies are welcome. In this volume, we intend to include a combination of case studies, theoretical and critical analyses, research and policy briefs, and design and photographic conceptualizations.

      Projections, the Journal of the MIT Department of Urban Studies and Planning, aims to provide the most in-depth, innovative treatment of cutting edge ideas in planning. Each volume is devoted to a different topic of interest to planning scholars, students, and professionals. Projections is a unique collaboration between graduate students in the Department of Urban Studies and Planning at MIT and an editorial board composed of leading scholars in the areas most closely linked to the topic under discussion.

      As a peer-reviewed publication, Projections welcomes original high quality submissions at the vanguard of planning theory and practice. The editorial board for Volume 8 will include leading academics and practitioners, such as Prof. Susan Fainstein (Harvard University), Prof. Susan Holcombe (Brandeis University), Prof. Philip Thompson (MIT), Prof. JoAnn Carmin (MIT), Prof. Julian Agyeman (Tufts University), and Prof. David Pellow (UC San Diego), whose work focuses on the intersection of justice and sustainability.

      The deadline for submitting papers is December 14, 2007.

      All authors will be notified by January 15, 2008. Projections, Volume 8 is scheduled to be published by June 2008.

      Submissions must be made electronically to: projections@...

      Authors are invited to submit full papers between 5,000 and 7,000 words, shorter briefs or observations between 1,000 and 3,000 words, design conceptualizations, and photographic exhibitions. All submissions should be written according to the American Psychological Association’s Publications Manual. Please double-space the manuscript and leave one-inch margins on all sides. All notes, tables, and images should be placed at the end of the document. Images should be provided in .TIF format, not exceeding a width of 5 inches and a resolution of 600 dpi (a width of 3000 pixels). Include a cover sheet with the title of the article, the author’s name, phone number, email address, and a two-sentence biographical statement.

      For more information, please contact the editorial team for Projections, Volume 8:

      Isabelle Anguelovski (ianguelo@...)
      Anna Livia Brand (analivia@...)
      Rachel Healy (rhealy@...)