FYI: Bay Area Alliance newsletter (Bay Area Sustainability Wire)

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 10, 2007

      Hello MURP readers,

      Periodically I send out an email to let readers on this list know about newsletters that they might want to sign up for.  Below you'll find a recent issue of the Bay Area Sustainability Wire, which may interest some of you.  (To clarify: I will NOT regularly post further issues of this newsletter to the MURP list -- I'm just ending one issue to let you know about the newsletter, in case you wish to subscribe yourself.)

      Best regards,

      Asha Weinstein Agrawal

      =======================================
      Asha Weinstein Agrawal
      Acting Chair and Assistant Professor
      Department of Urban and Regional Planning
      San José State University
      One Washington Square
      San Jose, CA 95192-0185
      asha.weinstein.agrawal@...
      phone: 408-924-5853; fax: 408-924-5872
      web page: http://www.sjsu.edu/faculty/weinstein.agrawal/
      =======================================

      ----- Forwarded by Asha Agrawal/SJSU on 09/10/2007 04:33 PM -----
      "Bay Area Alliance for Sustainable Communities" <allison@...>

      09/07/2007 03:09 PM

      asha.weinstein@...
      cc
      Subject
      Bay Area Sustainabiilty Wire #4

      BAY AREA ALLIANCE FOR SUSTAINABLE COMMUNITIES

                            Sustainability Wire               vol.4

       Sustainability News From Around the Bay Area
      SAVE THE DATE:
      October 11th
      **Film Premiere**
      Bay Area Alliance quarterly meeting

      Reviving the Heartbeat of Our Communities: stories and engagement tools that break NEW ground toward building stronger communities

      The Bay Area Alliance’s new film features stories from Bay Area residents which tell the personal and often
      hidden side-effects of our region’s growth.  It also highlighst some solutions for building more inclusive communities. A panel of local government staff and community interest groups will review the film, adding their strategies for balancing community needs when faced with growth.  Elected officials from the region will share stories that led them to support building more workforce housing and increasing transit accessibility.

      Lastly, tech experts will teach us how to effectively engage and mobilize constituents  using documentaries and Web 2.0 tools.
      Join Us!

      Location: BCDC
      50 California Street, Ste 2600, San Francisco.
      BART: Embarcadero
      Date: October 11th
      Time: 9am to Noon
      RSVP: allison@...

      watch our website for more details: bayareaalliance.org

      The Sustainability Wire profiles a slice of sustainability initiatives underway in the business, local government and non-profit realms of the San Francisco Bay Area.

      Growing Smarter As A Region
      Bay Area local governments are partnering with regional agencies to create a shared concept of where growth can best be accommodated and what areas need protection. This summer, over 50 Bay Area jurisdictions submitted applications for consideration of inclusion in a regional planning initiative, Focusing Our Vision.  Focusing Our Vision is spearheaded by four regional agencies, ABAG, MTC, BCDC, and the BAAQMD.  Recommendations for which area will be included will be presented at the joint ABAG/MTC Fall Forum in October and formally adopted by ABAG’s Executive Board in November.  The regional agencies are also working with the Green Vision group, a coalition of regional and local open space organizations to identify Priority Conservation Areas.  For more information, visit the FOCUS website at www.bayareavision.org
      or call 510/464-7994.

      RECYCLING
      e-WASTE

      Upgrade Your e-Waste Disposal
      Upgrading your computers, phones, PDAs, or television screens? We recommend also upgrading your electronic waste disposal by bringing it to a local green recycler.  Green Citizen will pick-up waste or you can drop it off (2 locations).  Responsible and safe disposal practices.   www.greencitizen.com

      HOT
      OFF
      THE
      PRESS

      A Place to Call Home
      ABAG recently released its second edition of A Place to Call Home: Housing in the San Francisco Bay Area. The 2007 report emphasizes the importance of encouraging housing development in existing communities and near transit.   It also documents local government progress in meeting the Regional Housing Needs Allocation targets established for 1999-2006. The report is available for purchase from the ABAG Web Store($20.00 U.S.) or can be read online in PDF format.

      HOPE
      FOR
      SUSTAINABLE
      WORLD

      Climate Quest
      This summer, high school and college students and filmmakers
      came together in Sonoma to study the climate crisis. They documented and shared local impacts and solutions using video reporting to spur action in local communities. More info...

      EVENTS

      EVENTS

      EVENTS

      EVENTS

      that you really don't want to
      miss
      West Coast Green
      www.westcoastgreen.com
      September 20-22nd.  San Francisco

      West Coast Green is THE residential green building conference and expo.  The global lineup of presenters will provide 175 timely sessions on the latest in green building products and techniques.  Sept. 22nd is Homeowner Day.

       ************

      Climate All Stars Conference
      www.climateallstars.org
      September 21st: 8am to 5pm. San Francisco

      This one-day conference features inspirational leaders - “stars” in actual greenhouse gas reductions - who will share their key lessons, best practices, and success stories. In addition, you'll learn practical examples and tools to reduce greenhouse gases.  Don't miss it!

       ***********

      Sustainable Silicon Valley Annual Meeting: Motivations, Actions & Results-- Climate Leadership from Business, Government & Environmental Orgs.
      www.sustainablesiliconvalley.org
      October 3, 9:00am—1:30pm. Santa Clara

      ***********

      Homeless Graduates Celebrate New Homes, Jobs, Lives
      October 4, 2007, 6-8 PM.  Berkeley

      Building Opportunities for Self-Sufficiency (BOSS) is holding its 13th Annual Graduation & Gratitude Gala to honor selected homeless men, women, and children who have used BOSS programs to turn their lives around.  Berkeley Police Chief Douglas N. Hambleton will provide keynote remarks. For tickets, call (510) 649-1930.

       ************

      ABAG General Assembly/MTC’s Transportation 2035 Plan
      Bay Area on the move
      A forum joining ABAG’s General Assembly with
      discussions on MTC’s Transportation 2035 Plan
      Friday, October 26, 2007 • 8:30 a.m.– 2 p.m. Oakland

      Who Should Attend?
      Everyone who cares about the future of the Bay Area! Join elected
      officials, community and business leaders, planners, and transportation
      and smart growth advocates in this lively regional dialogue.
      Space is limited and advance registration will be required to attend this
      free event. Lunch and refreshments will be provided.

      For More Information
      Visit http://www.abag.ca.govor www.mtc.ca.gov, or call
      510.464.7900 or 510.817.5757 for conference details. An agenda

      and online registration will be available in September.

      Bay Area Alliance for Sustainable Communities

      http://stats.chennells.com/home/r.asp
      Forward this newsletter to a friendUnsubscribe from this newsletter

      This mailing system may only be used for sending permission based email.
      If you did not give permission to receive emails from this sender,
      please notify us.

      This email was sent to asha.weinstein@... by allison@... | Read our
      Privacy Policy.
      Bay Area Alliance for Sustainable Communities - 50 California Street, Suite 2600, San Francisco, CA, 94107, United States