Short-term paid internship - TALC - Defining the Real Cost of Transportation

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2007

      Defining the Real Cost of Transportation

      What are the real costs of our travel habits in the Bay Area? Too often, the true costs of transportation choices are difficult to ascertain, leaving the public and transportation decision-makers with incomplete information.  For example, if we just looked at public agency budgets we'd conclude that our region spends much more on public transportation than on private transportation. In fact, as a region we are likely spending an order of magnitude more on automobiles and trucks --- once all of the costs are included.

      The Transportation and Land Use Coalition (TALC) seeks a short-term research associate who will examine the full cost of transportation on our wallets, our health and our environment.  The research associate will work with TALC staff to quantify direct costs such as car ownership and operation, transit fares, indirect costs such as traffic accidents and injuries, and imputed costs such as time lost to congestion.  (S)he will help develop estimates of the amount of money we could save through different transportation policy choices.

      Findings will be included as part of a TALC report that will be released early in October 2007.

      Timeline: We need this work to commence as soon as possible. A draft report shall be completed by the end of September.   It is estimated his will require a minimum of 120 hours of work by late September.

       Skills:

                  Strong research and quantitative skills are a must

                  Strong writing preferred

      Compensation:  This is a paid internship, and pay rate will vary based on skill level.  This could be the core of a thesis topic, and TALC is open to serving as a thesis sponsor

      Application process: Please email short statement of interest and resume to: Carli Paine, carli@....    Feel free to include an electronic copy of a report that you authored that demonstrates the necessary skills