POSITION: Editor in Chief for The Next American City magazine

  • Riad
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 20, 2007
      This is a great planning magazine that is looking for a new Editor
      in Chief. If you have not seen the magazine check it out at
      http://americancity.org/

      Hello TNAC Readers!

      Issue 15 will be out soon. In the meantime, we wanted to let you
      know that we're looking for a new Editor in Chief to join our
      growing organization. It's a great opportunity for an enterprising
      urban thinker with a strong writing and editing background. We're
      looking for new ideas and new solutions to urban problems, so
      decades of experience is not a prerequisite. If you have any friends
      or colleagues you think could be a good match for us, we hope you'll
      forward this on. The deadline for applications is June 30th.

      Seth Brown
      President
      The Next American City

      *****Please circulate widely*****

      POSITION: Editor in Chief for The Next American City magazine

      Position Type: Full-time, permanent staff position
      Position Location: Philadelphia, PA
      Anticipated Start Date: August/September 2007

      Position Summary:
      The Next American City is a non-profit magazine for and by the next
      generation of urban thinkers, leaders and activists. We offer a
      fresh perspective on the people, projects and policies that are
      shaping the future of America's cities and suburbs. In five years,
      The Next American City has grown from a few urban professionals with
      an idea into a magazine with a national presence. The magazine and
      other related initiatives focus on socially and environmentally
      sustainable approaches to economic growth.

      We are seeking an Editor in Chief with vision, enthusiasm,
      management abilities and a grasp of urban affairs to grow our
      magazine.

      The position demands strong leadership and excellent editing and
      interpersonal skills. The EIC will have an active role as the public
      face of the magazine and will be the sole full-time editorial staff.
      He/she will work closely with magazine staff to redevelop The Next
      American City's online presence, and to plan and produce online
      content. Where possible, the EIC will work with writers and
      volunteers, to develop, pitch and place op-eds based on magazine
      content in major newspapers and on radio.

      Responsibilities

      -- Develop and manage departmental budget, editorial calendar and
      long-term editorial plan.

      -- Manage paid and volunteer editorial staff, freelancers and
      interns to write, edit, fact check, coordinate and produce all
      magazine content.

      -- Provide overall editorial planning and execution ensuring
      accuracy and clarity of content.

      -- Solicit pitches and interact with writers to produce high-quality
      manuscripts to deadline and within a small editorial budget.

      -- Collaborate with Art Director in the development of content
      design to ensure consistency and appropriateness of magazine's
      design.

      -- Oversee house style guide and ensure adherence to house style by
      all freelancers.

      -- Work with business staff to provide input and support for The
      Next American City's related initiatives and projects and coordinate
      in-house content for magazine.

      -- Coordinate with business staff on marketing and promotion of
      magazine and Web site.

      Required Experience

      -- Professional print journalism experience.

      -- B.A. or greater in English or related field.

      -- Proven background in effective team leadership and management,
      budgeting, project management, multi-tasking, organization.

      -- Demonstrated track record in high-quality editing, rewriting, and
      writing for a broad, popular audience.

      -- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Adobe InDesign 2 is
      essential.

      -- Knowledge of urban issues, planning, and related fields necessary.

      Compensation: Current position salary is in the mid-40s and we
      expect a similar salary range for the successful candidate.
      Comprehensive medical/dental/vision and holiday/vacation packages.

      To Apply: Email a cover letter, resume, clips and salary
      requirements to jobs@... or to Michelle Kuly,
      Publisher, The Next American City, PO Box 42627, Philadelphia, PA
      19101. No calls please. Interested candidates are encouraged to
      apply as soon as possible. Deadline for applications is Friday, June
      30th.