Paid internship - City of Mountain View, CA - Planning Department

    Message 1 of 1 , May 16, 2007

      (FYI, Martin Alkire is a graduate of the SJSU MUP program.  --Asha Weinstein)

      ----- Forwarded by Asha Weinstein/SJSU on 05/16/2007 09:25 PM -----

      We have a dynamic, fast-paced, team-oriented (and fun!) work environment.  We believe we can offer the right individual a great opportunity to learn more about planning through training and hands-on experience working on a number of interesting and varied projects.

      The position is a general planning intern position, and can be from 20 to 40 hours per week, depending on the qualifications and interest of applicants.  The pay range is $10 - $15 per hour, again depending on qualifications.  There is a possibility that the position could extend past summer, and we could be flexible working around someone's school schedule.  Position is open until filled.

      Interested students can contact me directly via email or phone at 650-903-6306.

      Best -

      Martin Alkire
      Principal Planner, City of Mountain View

      PLANNING INTERN - CITY OF MOUNTAIN VIEW

      Examples of Duties: Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
      1. Perform entry-level work in the field of current or advanced planning,
      redevelopment, zoning and design review.
      2. Gather and maintain demographic data and other related statistics.
      3. Assist in the research, analysis and interpretation of social, economic, population and land use data
      and trends.
      4. Compile information and make recommendations on special studies; assist in the preparation of
      technical and complex reports.
      5. Review development proposals for conformance with appropriate regulations and
      consistency with established policies; prepare reports with recommendations.
      7. Check commercial, industrial and residential development plans for zoning conformance; process permit applications.
      8. Confer with and advise architects, builders, attorneys, contractors, engineers and
      the general public regarding City development policies and standards.
      9. Perform zoning enforcement duties; perform inspections and related field work.
      10. Prepare staff reports and graphic displays.
      11. Research and draft ordinances for review.
      12. Perform other duties as assigned.

      Minimum Qualifications:
      Interest in:
       Public sector planning;  land use planning and policies;  design review;  CEQA.
      Knowledge of:
      Basic principles and practices of planning; research and
      investigation procedures; graphic presentations; statistical and
      research methods as applied to the collection, analysis and presentation of
      planning, economic and redevelopment data.  GIS and computer skills desirable.
      Ability to:
      Demonstrate tact and diplomacy with the public; prepare reports and
      graphic presentations; prepare accurate maps, plans, charts and tables; learn
      applicable environmental laws and regulations; analyze and compile technical and
      statistical information and prepare reports; use basic word processing equipment;
      establish and maintain effective work relationships with those contacted in the
      course of work; communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing;
      show flexibility and a willingness to work in a collaborative environment.

      Experience and Training Guidelines: Any combination of experience and training will
      qualify if it provides for the required knowledge and abilities.

      Required Licenses or Certificates: Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid California driver's license.