Developing Livable Communities (March 17, Oakland)

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 15, 2007

      -----Original Message-----

      Developing Livable Communities - Defining Urban Growth

      WHY it matters.
      WHERE it should happen.
      WHAT constitutes livability.
      HOW we can achieve it in North Oakland.

      An ULTRA forum (Urbanists for a Livable Temescal Rockridge Area)

      Keynote Speaker: Ted Droettboom, MTC/ABAG/Air District Joint Policy Committee.

      Co-sponsored by:
      The Ella Baker Center for Human Rights & The Sierra Club,
      with the participation of representatives of A.C. Transit,
      Metropolitan Transportation Commission,
      Northern California Land Trust,
      Transportation and Land Use Coalition,
      A.F. Evans Development, Inc. and others

      Date:    March 17th, 2007
      Time:   10 am - 2 pm (registration begins at 9:30)
                    Please bring a brown bag lunch
                    Pastries, drinks and other snacks will be provided
      Where: North Oakland Senior Center
                    5714 Martin Luther King Jr. Way
                    (entrance at parking lot on 58th St.)

      For more information: www.ultraoakland.org

      URBANISTS FOR A LIVABLE TEMESCAL ROCKRIDGE AREA

      ULTRA is dedicated to creating a livable, authentic community in North
      Oakland by promoting urban growth that is environmentally sustainable
      and equitable.
      Through education and active, positive participation our community can
      achieve socially responsible higher density development along main
      commercial and transportation corridors that will support:
      o    Economic and cultural diversity
      o    Affordable housing and community-based commercial properties
      o    Local public schools
      o    Community services
      o    Neighborhood-oriented businesses
      o    Alternative transportation use
      o    Pedestrian and bike safety
      o    More open green spaces
      o    Cultural venues
      o    Honoring history; and
      o    Healthy community interaction
      We encourage all community stakeholders, local and regional leaders, and
      developers to work collaboratively in realizing this vision

      Gloria Bruce

      Senior Program Associate

      Berkeley Alliance

      Phone - (510)845-7103