FT job - SF - Telegraph Hill Neighborhood Center - Community Organizer/Volunteer Coordinator
----- Forwarded by Asha Weinstein/SJSU on 02/05/2007 02:11 PM -----
TELEGRAPH HILL NEIGHBORHOOD CENTER
Community Organizer/Volunteer Coordinator
POSITION: Community Organizer/Volunteer Coordinator (CO/VM)
Salary: Exempt—Salary is competitive and based upon experience
Benefits: Generous benefits package
Work schedule: M-F, Full time. Occasional evenings and weekends as required
Organizational Description: Telegraph Hill Neighborhood Center (Tel-Hi), founded in 1890, provides opportunities for individuals and families in our neighborhood to enrich their quality of life. Focusing on low- to moderate income children, youth, families, and seniors, we create and strengthen community bonds, provide health and wellness programs, and broaden education and cultural experiences. Our Preschool, After School Programs, Senior Program, and Community Organizing initiatives serve over 500 individuals each day.
Position Overview: The CO/VM is a member of the management team, and reports to the Executive Director. He/she works with staff and community members to further develop, expand, and implement a comprehensive community engagement and advocacy program. He/she engages numerous partnerships to ensure all members of our community have a safe place to voice concerns, problem-solve, and assume an active role in the health and well-being of their neighborhood. As a member of the Safety Network Partnership (SNET), he/she collaborates with 12 other Community Organizers throughout the city to provide organizing support and to build the capacity of neighborhoods to improve their safety.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
· Participate in and encourage the participation of community residents in City planning efforts affecting the long and short-term well-being of the neighborhood;
· Work with youth and staff at local middle school, high school, and North Beach Place to plan and implement violence prevention activities;
· Work in collaboration with the Central Station and the District Attorney’s office to improve police-community relationships and support crime reduction and safety initiatives;
· Work in collaboration with staff at North Beach Place and the North Beach Place Tenant Association to support community development efforts.
· Recruit, screen, train, support, and recognize 35-45 volunteers for all Tel-Hi’s programs and special events;
· Maintain the volunteer database and paper file (including background checks);
· Organize trainings for staff members to assist them in working with volunteers.
The ideal candidate must have a strong commitment to social justice, experience in community organizing and volunteer management, and excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
He/she must have the ability to work as part of a team, as well as independently when needed. Self-motivation, initiative, flexibility, problem solving, organizational, and multi-tasking skills are essential.
The ability to work well with a diverse constituency and excel in a multi-cultural environment is required.
Interested applicants should mail or e-mail cover letter and resume to: Tim Daniels, Telegraph Hill Neighborhood Center, 660 Lombard Street, San Francisco, CA 94133 tdaniels@.... For additional information please visit our website at www.tel-hi.org.