Million Moviegoer March

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 24 3:33 PM
      Spread the word. Let's support the premiere of this film.

      From an unnamed studio executive, quoted in an L.A. Times story, and
      who helped inspire the formation of the Premiere Weekend Club:
      "I'll bet dollars to donuts that Latinos will not support a film about
      Frida Kahlo"
      Other comments we have personally heard from powerful studio execs who
      shall remain nameless:
      "Latinos don't see art films."
      "The way to reach Latino audiences, since they can't speak English well,
      is through action films and dumb comedies."
      If those sadly ignorant comments anger you, we hope you'll turn your
      anger into something productive and continue to help us change
      Hollywood's thinking and business practices.
      We have seen many recent successes, including the box office smash hit
      "Spy Kids" films.
      Since the formation of our organization, Hollywood has gone from saying
      Latino doesn't sell (despite strong evidence to the contrary) to
      thinking just maybe it does sell.
      When we formed the Premiere Weekend Club, our vision was to create a
      network of people around the country who would support Latino films on
      their opening weekend. Everyone who signed on would commit to telling
      everyone they know to support Latino films on their premiere weekends.
      We have been waiting for this day to be able to support a Frida film.
      We now reach over 1,000,000 people nationwide, with college professors
      and administrators at several major universities committed to blasting
      our e-mail messages of support throughout their campuses.
      It is time to deliver on our promise and to send a strong message to
      Hollywood. The success of "Frida" will, among other things, show the
      film industry that there is a huge audience for real, non-stereotypical
      Latino characters.
      "Frida" opens on Friday, October 25th, in Los Angeles and New York, and
      then expands and goes nationwide over the following two weekends,
      Friday, November 1st (Chicago, Philadelphia, SF, Boston, Dallas,
      Washington DC, Detroit, Atlanta, Houston, and Seattle) and Friday,
      November 8th.
      Tell everyone you know and send this e-mail to everyone possible, and
      tell them to blast away to everyone they know as well and be a part of

      (Also, please tell them to sign up for our e-mail list through the home
      page of our web site, http://www.premiereweekend.org/)
      Support "Frida"!!
      It's time to pack the theatres.