Community speak-out in support of Proposition 46

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 24, 2002
      Dear Friends,

      On Tuesday, October 29, at 12:30 p.m., Community Homeless Alliance Ministry
      (CHAM) is organizing a community speak-out in front of San Jose City Hall in
      support of Proposition 46.

      Proposition 46, the Housing and Emergency Shelter Trust Fund Act of 2002, is
      on the November 5 ballot in the state of California. The measure is the
      largest housing bond issue in our history. It would provide $2.1 billion for
      construction of affordable housing and for housing-related programs.

      The State Legislative Analyst estimates it will create some 25,000 units of
      multi-family rental housing, 10,000 units of farmworker housing, 30,000 new
      shelter beds, and will assist 60,000 low and moderate-income first-time home
      buyers.

      CHAM supports this proposition because it will provide over $1 billion for
      construction of permanent housing affordable to extremely low-income (ELI)
      families. This is the sector most in need and currently most underserved both
      in Sili
      con Valley and throughout the state.

      CHAM's viewpoint rests on our biblical faith and on the Universal Declaration
      of Human Rights. Housing our neighbor is not only a gospel principle (Luke
      10:34). Housing is a God-given economic human right that our government
      should be obligated to defend. How can we talk about promoting the general
      welfare when we tolerate the condition of 360,000 people homeless in
      California alone?

      CHAM will discuss not only Proposition 46, but also the National Affordable
      Housing Trust Fund Act, an ambitious proposal currently stalled in the
      Republican Congress. All labor, community, and faith organizations who
      support ELI housing are invited to participate and speak.

      TIME:  12:30 p.m. Tuesday, October 29
      PLACE:  In front of San Jose City Hall, 801 North First Street.