Robert Bruegmann Presentation: History of Urban Sprawl

  • Hilary Nixon
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5, 2006
      Dear Students,

      The presentation described below will take place during our winter break, but some of you may be interested in attending. It would probably be a perspective on sprawl unlike what we typically hear as planners in the Bay Area.

      Hilary

      Hilary Nixon
      Assistant Professor
      Department of Urban & Regional Planning
      San Jose State University
      San Jose, CA  95192-0185
      408.924.5852
      408.924.5872 (FAX)

      http://commonwealthclub.org/featured/index.php#bruegmann

      ROBERT BRUEGMANN | TUESDAY JANUARY 16
      Professor of Art History, Architecture and Urban Planning, University of Illinois, Chicago; Author, Sprawl

      THE HISTORY OF URBAN SPRAWL

      Bruegmann turns conventional thinking about urban sprawl on its head, stating that it has always existed and attempts to curtail its growth have been ineffective, carrying consequences far worse than sprawl itself. With Bay Area residents no strangers to the phenomenon, Bruegmann provides critical insight into how sprawl has opened up opportunity by providing increased mobility, privacy and choice.

      6:00 p.m., Check-in | 6:30 p.m., Program | Le Petit Trianon, 72 N. Fifth St., San Jose | $7 for Members, $12 Non-members | To map directions to this program, visit Google Maps.