Sustainable Communities Salon, October 27, Oakland

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 19, 2002
      Sustainable Communities Salon

      Venue: Parkway Theater Date: Sunday, October 27th
      1834 Park Ave., Oakland CA 94610 Time: 3 pm to 5 pm

      Friends of Gaviotas
      www.urbanecology.org/gaviotas/about.htm
      The Parkway Theater www.picturepubpizza.com

      The Bay Area Friends of Gaviotas group is hosting an
      event of lively (and ongoing) discussion for the
      benefit of like minds, coming together for an
      afternoon of conversation and sharing of ideas. The
      public is invited to this FREE event. We are inviting
      folks from many groups in the bay area, people who are
      interested in sustainability issues and community
      building topics. Please disseminate this information
      to those that may be interested.

      The venue is especially fitting for this event. In
      addition to being a movie theater, the Parkway also
      doubles as a café & bar, where attendees can be fed
      and watered, or wined and dined, as the case may be.
      The couches are also very comfortable. This is the
      first Sunday Salon for the Parkway, look for others in
      coming months.

      The meeting format will not be unlike a conventional
      salon. We will have an overview presentation and
      discussion of concepts, before we break into groups
      for everyone to discuss the varieties of subjects that
      come to the table. Featured in the overview at the
      beginning of the salon will be a 20 minute DVD about
      Las Gaviotas. A large poster board will be up for
      each group to write in what they want to talk about in
      their prospective corners, much like a map of the
      room, and we will switch off every 20 minutes or so.
      That way everyone can navigate many different groups
      if they like, or stick to one or two of the smaller
      groups.

      Las Gaviotas is a village of more than 200 families,
      that for more than 30 years has lived and thrived
      amidst the civil war, drug-money fueled guerrilla
      actions, and harsh desert conditions of eastern
      Columbia. Despite the obstacles, they are a model to
      the world of community building and sustainable living
      habits. If they can do it under such bad conditions,
      surely others can do it in places like the USA.
      (Further information can be found in Alan Weisman's
      book: Gaviotas - A village to reinvent the world).

      "Ravaged infertile lands and drought is a reflection
      of impoverished petty minds and a demoralized spirit."
      -Paulo Lugari