FT job - San Francisco - Tenderloin Neighborhood Development Corporation - Community Organizer
----- Forwarded by Asha Weinstein/SJSU on 10/02/2006 11:42 AM -----
Job Title: Community Organizer
Organization: Tenderloin Neighborhood Development Corporation
Location: San Francisco
Salary: $34,500. - $48,000.
Under the direct supervision of the Executive Director, the Community
Organizer is responsible for organizing and coordinating TNDC’s goals of
addressing the needs of low income residents and making the Tenderloin
neighborhood a better place to live through leadership development, building
collaborations, and a focus on community issues.
The Community Organizer customarily and regularly exercises discretion and
independent judgment in the following job duties:
1. Coordinate and facilitate the exchange of information about community
development efforts between TNDC staff.
2. Provide technical assistance, support, and leadership development to
neighborhood groups and residents.
3. Develop and maintain positive working relationships with tenant groups,
community agencies, and neighborhood stakeholders
and work collaboratively to address short- and mid-range community
4. Lead outreach, issue cultivation, and leadership development within TNDC’
s resident base, and throughout the community.
5. Help to coordinate and organize community input and support related to
6. Monitor and actively participate in relevant community meetings.
7. Educate and work with public and elected officials around community
8. Recruit, train and coordinate/supervise workload of interns and
9. Give public testimony to city agencies, civic committees, and
neighborhood groups as needed.
10. Other duties and specific assignments along specialized or technical
lines that require special knowledge under the general
supervision of the Executive Director.
• Excellent community building skills, public speaking skills
• Ability to facilitate meetings.
• Excellent verbal and writing skills.
• Ability to understand and communicate the needs of low-income residents.
• Ability to work independently and within a team structure.
• Able to attend evening meetings and work on weekends
• Four-year college degree.
• Two years of organizing or community development experience.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
• Bilingual and Bi-literate in English and at least one of the following
languages: Mandarin/Cantonese, Spanish, Vietnamese, Tagalog.
• Familiarity with the Tenderloin neighborhood.
ABOUT TNDC Founded in 1981, TNDC is a non-profit, community development
organization that serves the Tenderloin and surrounding neighborhoods. Our
combined annual budget is $15 million, with a staff of 220.
WOMEN AND PEOPLE OF COLOR ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. EOE
How to Apply:
Submit cover letter and resume to: TNDC/Human Resources, 201 Eddy Street,
San Francisco, CA 94102; fax to (415) 776-3952; or e-mail to jobs@....
Position is open until filled.
Organization Web Site: www.tndc.org