Sustainably Modern Architecture - Forum at Redwood City, Wednesday, May 3

  • dayana.salazar@sjsu.edu
    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2006

      on’t miss the season finale!

      Sustainably Modern Architecture

      Steve Mouzon, AIA

      Wednesday, May 3rd, 2006

      6:00pm

      The Little Fox Theatre, Downtown Redwood City

      $10.00 fee payable at door

      NO RSVP REQUIRED

      Miami Beach architect, author and photographer STEVE MOUZON will be speaking at “The Forum at Redwood City: A Continuing Conversation on City Design” on WEDNESDAY, MAY 3, 2006, from 6:00 - 7:45pm!  Don’t miss this exciting presentation on “sustainablY modern architecture.”

      Last summer the Times in the United Kingdom focused in on the on-going debate between traditional/classical and modernist architecture. Their June 3rd article claimed, “There is nothing like architecture to divide otherwise even-handed people into opposing camps. Buildings strike at the heart of the way we live. They define who we are, where we have come from and where we are going.”

      Steve Mouzon believes that traditional/classical architecture is the only architecture that remains “of our time” through the passage of time, thus being the only truly sustainably modern architecture. It becomes so by engaging the culture at large rather than remaining in the domain of a few star architects and critics.

      Mr. Mouzon will address why it is perfectly acceptable to use traditional and classical architecture in new projects and will explain how to get the details right so that we may get the same enjoyment out of new structures as we do out of our cherished historic buildings. He will also address why being green comes naturally to this architecture because at its core, it is simply about things that work well in the long run.

      About Steve Mouzon
      LEED-accredited architect Steve Mouzon is a principal and co-founder of The New Urban Guild, a group of architects, landscape architects and other New Urbanists dedicated to the study and design of true traditional buildings and places inspired by the region in which they are built.

      Mr. Mouzon has been an advocate for traditional town planning and smart growth for over twenty years, amassing one of the best private architectural and town planning libraries in the region, with over 2,000 volumes, 14,000 slides and 20,000 images. Mr. Mouzon has developed an innovative system of Architectural Plan Review which teaches builders, designers and architects traditional principles of good design rather than simply telling them where to fix a drawing.

      Mouzon’s firm, The New Urban Guild, was active in the rebuilding of the Gulf Coast following Hurricane Katrina. They recently published Gulf Coast Emergency House Plans and are in the process of publishing a book of home plans designed for traditional neighborhoods. The Guild Tool Foundry includes a growing collection of tools that assist in the design of traditional towns and buildings.

      Mr. Mouzon has authored or contributed to a number of publications including Biltmore Estate Homes, Architectural Elements: Traditional Construction Details, 1001 Traditional Construction Details, and the just-released Traditional Construction Patterns, Design and Detail Rules of Thumb. His home designs continue to be featured as Plan of the Month in Southern Living. He continues to shoot new editions of his photographic Catalog of the Most-Loved Places.

      We invite you to join the region’s top planners, architects, designers and community leaders as they gather in Redwood City on May 3rd for the final event of the 2005-2006 season, and what promises to be an exciting evening of engaging presentation and lively dialogue.

      About The Forum

      The Forum at Redwood City is jointly produced by Communities By Design (CBD), a local nonprofit, and the City of Redwood City, with assistance from Moore Iacofano Goltsman, Inc. (MIG). The fee for the Forum is $10 (payable at the door, checks or cash). The Forum will be held at the Little Fox Theatre, located at 2209 Broadway in Redwood City. Doors open at 5:30pm. (Please note that due to State regulations, attendance at the Little Fox Theatre is limited to persons over 21.) The presentation and discussion will be followed by an optional, no-host dinner with the speaker at a nearby restaurant in downtown Redwood City. A flier for the event is attached.

      Transportation: For those arriving by car, there is plenty of parking available within a comfortable walk of the Little Fox (Click here for parking information). Transit is also a great option, as the Little Fox is also only 2 blocks from the Redwood City Caltrain Station. For Caltrain schedule information, click here. Click here for a map of the area.

      If you need any additional information, please contact Dan Zack at the City of Redwood City at (650) 780-7363 or dzack@....

      HELP US GET THE WORD OUT! Please share this information with your colleagues who might be interested in attending.

      For summaries of past Forums, visit http://www.redwoodcity.org/forum

      Please note: This will be our last Forum of the 2005-2006 season. The Forum at Redwood City: A Continuing Conversation on City Design will be taking a break for the summer months, and will return the first Wednesday of the month starting in October. Please join us on May 3rd!

      Dan

      Dan Zack, AICP

      Downtown Development Coordinator

      City of Redwood City, Redevelopment Division

      1017 Middlefield Road

      Redwood City, CA 94063

      (650) 780-7363

      dzack@...

      www.redwoodcity.org/downtown

      "Really good downtowns are congested. Stop worrying about it and pray for it."

           -Allan Jacobs