Third Annual Water Conservation Showcase, March 22, Pacific Energy Center

  • dayana.salazar@sjsu.edu
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 10, 2006

      3rd Annual Water Conservation Showcase
      Wednesday, March 22, 2006
      11:00 am to 7:30 pm
      The Pacific Energy Center

      851 Howard Street, San Francisco

      To register, click on the following link:
      Celebrate World Water Day by attending the 3rd Annual Water Conservation Showcase on March 22nd. This event will provide information on water-conserving strategies for building designers, managers and operators through presentations and table-top displays. This event is organized through the efforts of:
      Northern California Chapter - U.S. Green Building Council (www.usgbc-ncc.org)
      East Bay Municipal Utility District (www.ebmud.com)
      Build It Green (www.builditgreen.org)
      The Pacific Energy Center (www.pge.com/pec)
      Many experts believe that water will surpass energy as the most notorious and coveted resource in California. The state has experienced extended droughts in the past (the last one from 1987-1992), has grown in population by about 15% since the last drought, and has limited reserves in snow pack and reservoirs. These and the unpredictability of long-term precipitation levels place us in a constant state of anxiety about our future water supply. Some of the other issues contributing to the California water challenge include the fact that we dedicate about 75% of available water to agriculture and a large portion is diverted from northern California to our neighbors in the more arid south.

      Water use also has significant energy implications. The California State Water Project that is responsible for moving water from sources to customers is the single largest user of energy in the state. Additional energy is required to heat, cool, pump and treat water. Reducing water use produces significant electricity and natural gas savings.
      Michael Foster, LEED AP
      City of San Jose
      Green Building Program
      ph:  (408) 975-2601
      fax: (408) 292-6213
      email:  michael.foster@...
      website:  www.sanjoseca.gov/esd/
      'Our entire society rests upon- and is dependent upon-our water, our land, our forests, and our minerals. How we use these resources influences our health, security, economy, and well-being." John F. Kennedy