FT job - Oakland - East Bay Housing Organizations - Executive Director
East Bay Housing Organizations
01:30 pm PST, Mar 08
Closing Date: April 14, 2006
East Bay Housing Organizations (EBHO) in Oakland, CA, is seeking highly qualified applicants for the position of Executive Director. The successful candidate will inspire and lead EBHO’s staff, board and membership in its continuing efforts to strengthen and expand the affordable housing sector in Alameda and Contra Counties. A proven track record of successful management, fund raising, and coalition building will be confirmed.
EBHO is a 20-year-old affordable housing advocacy coalition dedicated to working with communities in Alameda and Contra Costa counties to preserve, protect and expand affordable housing opportunities through education and advocacy. EBHO has played a decisive role in formulating and building support for affordable housing campaigns in a variety of communities in the 2-county area. EBHO’s membership, made up of over 140 organizations and individuals, includes: non-profit housing developers, development consultants, fair housing agencies, tenant organizations, faith-based groups, housing counseling agencies, architects, homeless and tenant advocates and service providers, neighborhood organizations, municipal housing staff, financial institutions and elected officials.
EBHO’s work is accomplished in four ways:
1. Supporting community organizing efforts to increase the supply of affordable housing;
2. Educating elected officials, planning commissions, civic organizations, neighborhood associations, faith-based groups, the business community and the general public about the extent of the affordable housing crisis and its solutions;
3. Conducting research and advocacy that complements, supports and builds the capacity of non-profit housing development corporations and other organizations working and advocating for affordable housing; and
4. Formulating ideas for new sources of funding for affordable housing development and ensuring that existing resources are used in the most efficient manner possible.
EBHO is in the third year of its three-year strategic plan, and has established a board approved work plan for the organization for 2006. For additional information on EBHO’s mission, vision, programs, board of directors and staff, please refer to the organization’s website: www.ebho.org.
The Executive Director of EBHO manages, coordinates, and facilitates the development and maintenance of all programs and key partnerships, and provides the support necessary to ensure the smooth operation and continuity of EBHO’s vision and goals. The Executive director will report to a 12-member board of directors and supervise a staff of three. EBHO’s 2006 (calendar year) operating budget is approximately $325K.
The ideal candidate will be knowledgeable and experienced in addressing the challenges of housing affordability. The candidate should also have experience managing a small, independent agency and a track record developing collaborative working relationships with community groups, nonprofit housing organizations, developers and local governments. Strong writing and speaking skills are a necessity. Experience with fundraising, grant writing, and working with foundations is essential.
This position is a unique opportunity for an articulate and inspiring individual committed to lead a highly respected and effective organization.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
• Fund Development – Serve as the lead fundraiser for EBHO: develop a long-range, sustainable, and diverse fund development plan; proactively develop funding proposals; prepare grant applications and coordinate fundraising activities; actively seek new revenue sources – government, corporate, foundation, and private- to meet program goals; expand EBHO’s private donor base; monitor contract compliance and grant objectives; ensure timely reports to funders; and develop a plan to replenish cash reserves.
• Operations (including Staff and Finances) – Provide leadership and direction to ensure efficient operations: oversee management of financial and administrative procedures to maintain fiscally sound programs and accounting systems; hire, fire, supervise and provide development opportunities for staff, and manage independent contractors; ensure strict adherence to personnel policies and propose policy changes to the Board of Directors as needed; prepare annual budget, track budget performance monthly, propose budget modifications as needed; and ensure preparation of timely reports to public and private funders.
• Board Administration – Assist in the development of an engaged, effective and energized Board: ensure regular communication between Board and Staff; provide staffing, research and other support for Board committees; facilitate the Board’s involvement in the formation of EBHO’s policies and programs and supervise the implementation of Board-approved policies; assist the Board with ongoing strategic planning; and assist in the recruitment, orientation, training and development of Board members while ensuring that the Board reflects the cultural and racial diversity of the affordable housing community, as well as their diverse roles in advocacy, production and management of affordable housing.
• Community Relations – Represent EBHO, where appropriate: participate in conferences, meetings, and community events to further EBHO’s goals and increase its visibility; establish and maintain productive relationships with other organizations advocating for affordable housing; respond to press and media queries; and oversee EBHO’s participation in community organizing and advocacy campaigns.
• Program Implementation and Oversight – Direct EBHO’s program objectives through supervision or direct participation, as staff resources allow: ensure compatibility of program decisions with EBHO’s mission and priorities; support and review the work of EBHO’s program staff; facilitate communication with the Board, EBHO’s members and the community regarding EBHO’s initiatives; work with program staff to develop effective work plans; and ensure that all staff members have the program information necessary to complete their jobs.
• Demonstrated commitment to EBHO’s programs and goals.
• Demonstrated effectiveness in meeting the challenges of affordable housing issues.
• Self-directed, energetic, tenacious leader, strong collaborator and facilitator.
• A minimum of five years’ management experience--including understanding of the nonprofit sector and of the particular needs of small organizations.
• Demonstrated experience in fund raising--including understanding of and connections to private and public sector funders.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Strong interpersonal skills.
• Creative problem solver, open to change, flexible, and capable of adapting to changing priorities.
• Strategic thinker, capable of expanding capacities for a small organization.
• Experience working with boards of directors and community-based organizations.
• Commitment to engaging and working with diverse communities.
• Willingness to attend evening and weekend meetings and events.
This is a full-time exempt position. Salary Range: $65,000 - $75,000, and benefits, commensurate with background and experience.
Please mail or email (Microsoft Word compatible) a cover letter and resume summarizing your interest, qualifications, experience, salary history and three references to:
EBHO – Executive Director Search
c/o Walker and Associates
2201 Broadway, Suite 815
Oakland, CA 94612
Ph: 510-834-2341x101, or Email: EBHOWalkerAssoc@...
(place “EBHO-Executive Director Search” in the subject line)
EBHO is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Salary: $65,000 to $75,000
Contact: Walker & Associates
Phone: 510-834-2341 x 101
Org.: East Bay Housing Organizations
Address: 2201 Broadway, Suite 815
Oakland, CA 94612