Third Annual Water Conservation Showcase, March 22, Pacific Energy Center

  • dayana.salazar@sjsu.edu
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 8, 2006

      This email is to notify you of the upcoming and our Third Annual Water
      Conservation Showcase to be held on Wednesday, March 22, 2006, from
      11:00 am to 7:30 pm. The event will be held at the Pacific Energy Center,
      851 Howard Street in San Francisco. To attend the water showcase you
      must register at this website: www.pge.com/pec/classes. You will find the
      Water Showcase by selecting “water efficiency” as the Primary Topic
      category at this page.

      The Water Conservation Showcase will provide information on
      water-conserving strategies for building designers, managers and operators through
      presentations and tabletop displays. This event is organized through
      the efforts of the Northern California Chapter of the U.S. Green Building
      Council (www.usgbc.org/Chapters/northerncalifornia), East Bay Municipal
      Utility District (www.ebmud.com), Build-It Green (www.builditgreen.org)
      and The Pacific Energy Center.

      Many experts believe that water will surpass energy as the most
      notorious and coveted resource in California. The state has experienced
      extended droughts in the past (the last one from 1987-1992), has grown in
      population by about 15% since the last drought, and has limited reserves
      in snow pack and reservoirs. These and the unpredictability of long-term
      precipitation levels place us in a constant state of anxiety about our
      future water supply. Some of the other issues contributing to the
      California water challenge include the fact that we dedicate about 75% of
      available water to agriculture and a large portion is diverted from
      northern California to our neighbors in the more arid south.

      Water use also has significant energy implications. The California
      State Water Project that is responsible for moving water from sources to
      customers is the single largest user of energy in the state. Additional
      energy is required to heat, cool, pump and treat water. Reducing water
      use produces significant electricity and natural gas savings.

      The showcase will include lectures by experts from state and local
      governments, water districts, research institutions and engineering firms.
      These talks will address recent research, new water policies,
      technological developments, and case studies for both commercial and residential
      building projects. The water-energy relationship will be included in
      several of the presentations. Here is the final schedule of speakers:

      12:00 noon
      Steve Macaulay, California Urban Water Agencies on "California Water
      History:  How Did We Get to Where We Are Today?"
      Or
      Jim Riesenberger, TAS (Turbine Air Systems) on "Water-Efficient Cooling
      Towers"

      1:30 pm
      John Koeller of California Urban Water Conservation Council on "Verify
      Before You Buy: The Truth about Water-Efficient Products"
      Or
      Michael Thilgen of Four Dimensions Landscape Company on "Sustainable
      Landscaping: An Introduction to the Bay Friendly Landscape Guidelines"

      3:00 pm
      Gary Klein of the California Energy Commission on "California's
      Water-Energy Relationship"
      Or
      Ann Runley of Brookwater Inc. on "Water climbs to $100.00 a "barrel":
      Irrigation Design Strategies for Water Conservation"

      4:30 pm
      Mary Ann Dickinson of the California Urban Water Conservation Council
      on "New Directions in Water Efficiency Policy"
      Or
      David Zoldoske of The Fresno State Center for Irrigation Technology on
      "An Overview of Smart Water Application Technologies"

      6:00 pm
      Shahid Chaudhry of the California Energy Commission on "Sources of
      Future Supply in California and Potential Impacts on Energy Requirements"
      Or
      Patrick Freeman of Sherwood Design Engineers & Peter Haase of Fall
      Creek Engineering on "Water Conservation in Practice"

      Recent studies estimate that up to one-third of California's current
      urban water use can be saved using existing technologies, many of which
      will be discussed at the presentations or displayed in the vendor area.
      The vendor displays will feature the latest cutting edge products,
      systems and services available to help Californians conserve and wisely
      manage this most abused and critical natural resource. Products in the
      showcase may include water-efficient fixtures, drought-tolerant
      landscaping, gray-water equipment, permeable pavement, drip irrigation, and
      rainwater harvesting systems.  The list of vendors for this year’s showcase
      will include:

      Accurate Weather Set, ACT Metlund, Advanced Cooling Tower Technologies,
      American Leak Detection, California Energy Commission, California
      Integrated Waste Management Board, California Native Grasslands Association,
      California Urban Water Conservation Council, Central Concrete, Delta
      Faucet, Dry Mix Products, Ecological Landscape Association, Evaporative
      Control Systems, Ewing Irrigation Products, Food Service Technology
      Center, Hunter Industries, Hydro Point Data Systems, Life Source Water
      Systems, Natural Systems , Netafim, Oratech Controls, INC, Rainbird,
      Rainmaster, Sani-floor, Signature Control Systems, StopWaste.org  (Alameda
      County Waste Management Authority), Sustainable Solutions International,
      Toro, Toto, US EPA, Vortens, VRTX Technologies, The Waterless Company
      and Watermiser

      Companies interested in participating as a vendor should contact
      Jennifer Love. Jen can be reached at
      Jen@.... A complete list of
      vendors will be published prior to the showcase.

      To attend the water showcase you must register at this website:
      www.pge.com/pec/classes. You will find the Water Showcase by selecting “water
      efficiency” as the Primary Topic category on this page.

      Ryan

      Ryan Stroupe
      Building Performance Program Coordinator
      Pacific Energy Center
      851 Howard Street
      San Francisco, CA 94103
      P: 415.973.7257
      F: 415.896.1290
      E:
      r2s2@...
    • dayana.salazar@sjsu.edu
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 10, 2006

        3rd Annual Water Conservation Showcase

        Wednesday, March 22, 2006
        11:00 am to 7:30 pm
        The Pacific Energy Center

        851 Howard Street, San Francisco

        To register, click on the following link:

        http://www.pge.com/education_training/classes/energy_efficiency/index.jsp?reqType=detail&ID=1906&db=PEC1906.csv&pageTitle=Class%20Details%20and%20Registration&postback=yes

        Celebrate World Water Day by attending the 3rd Annual Water Conservation Showcase on March 22nd. This event will provide information on water-conserving strategies for building designers, managers and operators through presentations and table-top displays. This event is organized through the efforts of:

        Northern California Chapter - U.S. Green Building Council (www.usgbc-ncc.org)
        The Pacific Energy Center (www.pge.com/pec)

[...]

        Michael Foster, LEED AP
        City of San Jose
        Green Building Program
        ph:  (408) 975-2601
        fax: (408) 292-6213
        email:  michael.foster@...
        website:  www.sanjoseca.gov/esd/

        'Our entire society rests upon- and is dependent upon-our water, our land, our forests, and our minerals. How we use these resources influences our health, security, economy, and well-being." John F. Kennedy