Summer 2006 Internship Opportunities: Project for Public Spaces

  • dayana.salazar@sjsu.edu
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7, 2006

      Summer 2006 Internship Opportunities

      Project for Public Spaces

      Cover letter and resume should be submitted by Sunday, March 12 by midnight
      to: Internship Coordinator, Arianna Martinez at amartinez@...

      PPS is a nonprofit organization dedicated to creating and sustaining public
      places that build communities. We provide technical assistance, education,
      and research through programs in parks, plazas and central squares;
      buildings and civic architecture; transportation; and public markets. Since
      our founding in 1975, we have worked in over 1,500 communities in the United
      States and around the world, helping people to grow their public spaces into
      vital community places.

      For more information visit our website at www.pps.org

      The three-month internship is offered to graduate students in planning or
      related fields. We seek students who are passionate about preserving vibrant
      existing public spaces and creating new community destinations.

      In the past, interns have worked directly with PPS staff on projects like
      concept plans for Houston's new Downtown Park, conducting placemaking
      workshops with NJ Transit to turn their rail stations into community places,
      researching the economic impact of farmers markets, and developing the
      public space program for a mixed-use development in Orlando, Florida.

      NOTE: All interns will be expected to work between 30-35 hours a week for
      the duration of the summer. This is an unpaid internship, however three
      summer fellowships are offered (see application below).

      Currently resumes are being accepted for the following summer internships:

      (Please indicate your preference)

      Transportation: Our work has included simple streetscape improvements, to
      analysis of complex intersections and major thoroughfares; from
      transit-station designs to transit-oriented downtown plans; from light-rail
      corridors, to mixed vehicle/transit streets, to plans for the street
      environments of entire downtowns and commercial districts.

      -Be passionate about transportation planning.

      -helpful computer skills include; GIS, Illustrator, CAD, Powerpoint

      Public Markets:

      -Interest in sustainable food systems and community/economic development

      -Experience with public or farmers markets

      -SPSS, Excel, quantitative and qualitative research skills

      -excellent writing skills

      Downtowns, Parks, Plazas, Squares:

      -background in urban planning, downtowns and master planning

      -computer skills should include; GIS, Illustrator and CAD

      New Development, Mixed-Use:

      -A design intern to help with drawing and design of new town centers. Skills
      include Autocad, Illustrator, Photoshop, as well as hand drawing, and

      -Knowledge of real estate development: a forward-thinking intern who wants
      to work eventually in development.  Skills include writing, research, spread
      sheets and some understanding of the economics of development.  This person
      should be really excited about how public spaces can play a big role in
      creating great new mixed use communities. Knowledge of transit-oriented
      development and new urbanist communities a plus.

      Community Revitalization & Development and Placemaking:

      -skills in market research & writing

      -experience or knowledge about public space management for real estate

      General Requirements:

      - Working towards a Master's Degree in Urban Planning, Public Policy, Urban
      Design, Landscape Design, Geography, Social Sciences, Architecture, etc.

      - Ability to work effectively as part of a group, as well as independently
      on projects

      -  Excellent written and spoken communication skills

      -  Prior experience in an office setting

      Finally, we appreciate your interest in PPS, but due to the high volume of
      applications, we will only contact candidates that will be interviewed. In
      the meantime, please no phone calls.

      Summer 2006 Fellowship Application

      The purpose of the PPS fellowship is to encourage economic and ethnic
      diversity in our organization. Students chosen for this scholarship must
      demonstrate a genuine financial need. We understand how costly living in New
      York City can be and intend the fellowship to be a living stipend for
      students who wouldn't otherwise be able to work with us.

      The fellowship essay due by March 20 should be one page and describe
      financial need. However, please submit a cover letter and resume by the
      March 12 deadline, indicating your desire and intent to apply for the