FT job - Berkeley - Resources for Community Development - Resident Services Coordinator
----- Forwarded by Asha Weinstein/SJSU on 03/03/2006 03:44 PM -----
Job Title: Resident Services Coordinator
Organization: Resources for Community Development
Salary: Competitive salary and benefits DOE
Founded in 1984, Resources for Community Development (RCD) is a regional
nonprofit housing developer working throughout Alameda,
Contra Costa and Solano Counties. It is our mission to create and preserve
affordable housing for people with the fewest options, building communities
and enriching lives.
RCD’s portfolio consists of over 1000 affordable housing units in 12 cities
and 3 counties throughout the East Bay Area. RCD is currently involved in
several exciting major projects and has several hundred units in
predevelopment. RCD builds new and acquires and rehabs housing for
low-income families, seniors, and households with special needs. The
corporation is governed by a twelve-member Board of Directors and is funded
primarily through developer fees, foundation grants and government
Major Job Responsibilities and Duties
The Resident Services Coordinator (RSC), under the direction and supervision
of the Director of Resident Services (DRS), plans and coordinates the
supportive services programs at RCD’s affordable housing developments. The
goal of this position is to deliver programs that assist RCD’s residents in
retaining housing, empower them economically, and build strong communities.
RCD contracts with local services agencies for the delivery of services at
some of its supportive housing projects, and additionally provides services
1. Onsite Community Building/Organizing responsibilities and one-on-one
housing retention strategies:
• Provide service coordination to individuals and families: provide
information and referral to assist them in securing entitlement benefits,
income support, education and job training, homeownership opportunities, and
many other supportive services.
• Facilitate resident meetings, recreational events, and social and
educational programs at RCD housing sites: promote positive
communications between residents, neighbors, and property management.
• Provide assistance with tenant council formation and leadership
• Provide short-term, crisis counseling as needed and act as a referral
agent for additional services (longer-term counseling would be handled by a
qualified, outside agency).
• Work with property management to prevent eviction of residents through
early intervention and mediation, assist residents with
seeking out community resources when needed to retain housing, and promote
community safety through neighborhood watch and disaster planning.
2. Program development and monitoring responsibilities
• Assist the Director of Resident Programs (DRS) in developing, reviewing
and implementing supportive services plans and
memoranda of understanding with service providers, and manage interagency
relationships between RCD and contractors and
• Develop and implement education and training programs such as money
management, home management skills, leadership, etc.
directly and with service contractors at RCD sites; set up and manage
computer labs at applicable sites.
• Assess resident satisfaction with supportive service delivery, by
administering RCD’s Annual Resident Survey and interfacing
directly with residents.
• Work with RCD’s housing development staff on new supportive housing
projects to develop program plans for proposed projects,
create marketing plans and contact lists, and solicit community-based
service providers’ support.
3. Other Duties
• Represent RCD at meetings with public agencies, community groups, and
• Assist in the recruitment and training of potential volunteers, interns
and project assistants.
• Reports suspected abuse situations to the appropriate agency
• Perform related duties as required.
Applicants should have two or more years experience in at least one of the
• Community/neighborhood organizing and community building with residents;
• Providing direct service and/or case management to individuals facing
challenges such as HIV/AIDS, substance abuse, and/or
mental health, physical disabilities; or
• Education and training to individuals and households in areas such as job
development, money management, computer instruction.
Applicants should demonstrate the following skills:
* Strong organizational skills: ability to handle multiple projects and
deadlines at once.
* Strong administrative skills, including record keeping for social service
provision (case notes, releases of information and confidentiality, and
others), and submission of invoices for payment.
* Working knowledge of confidentiality and ethics, vocational and economic
intervention strategies, HUD housing programs, case management and crisis
* Strong communication and negotiation skills for establishing cooperative
working relationships with property management companies, social service
providers, and resident households.
* Clear and effective verbal and written communications (bilingual Spanish
or Chinese preferred)
* Experience with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel and Outlook) and internet.
Also required for hire:
* Current TB Test (RCD will provide at start date).
* Must have a car and valid driver’s license, registration and insurance.
* Must pass criminal background check.
Bachelor’s degree in related field required; may substitute five years’
experience in related field with High school/GED.
The successful candidate will start as soon as possible. Compensation is
competitive depending upon experience and qualifications. RCD’s excellent
benefit package includes paid vacation, holidays and sick leave;
health/dental/vision/life insurance; and employer contributions to employee’
s tax-deferred 403(b) retirement account.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER - PEOPLE OF COLOR, WOMEN AND THE PHYSICALLY
CHALLENGED ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
How to Apply:
To apply, please submit your resume and a cover letter to RCD via email and
attachment to Chris Hess at chess@...; by
regular mail; or by facsimile immediately. We are located at 2730
Telegraph, Berkeley CA, 94705. Our fax is 510-548-3502.
Organization Web Site: www.rcdhousing.org