FT job - SF - Greenbelt Alliance - Livable Communities Outreach Coordinator

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2006

      ----- Forwarded by Asha Weinstein/SJSU on 03/03/2006 03:41 PM -----

      Job Title: Livable Communities Outreach Coordinator
      Location: San Francisco
      Salary: $30,000 to $34,000 DOE
      FT  Regular

      Job Description:
      Greenbelt Alliance, the San Francisco Bay Area’s land conservation and urban
      planning non-profit organization, seeks an organized, personable,
      experienced candidate for the position of Livable Communities Outreach
      Coordinator.

      Position Summary
      The Livable Communities Outreach Coordinator will report to the Regional
      Issues Organizer and will work with other Greenbelt Alliance staff and
      volunteers to coordinate the Compact Development Endorsement Program and
      Livable Communities Outreach Program.  These programs advocate for
      individual developments and plans that create livable communities and
      educate residents and decision-makers about the benefits of creating livable
      communities. The Outreach Coordinator will work closely with volunteers to
      plan and implement these programs.

      Compact Development Endorsements
      Through our Compact Development Endorsement Program, Greenbelt Alliance
      endorses and supports residential, mixed-use and commercial developments
      that are pedestrian-oriented and transit accessible, use land efficiently,
      and provide affordable places to live.  In coordinating this program, the
      Livable Communities Outreach Coordinator will work with volunteers and staff
      to:
      •                 Manage the review process for projects and plans submitted for endorsement
      •                 Support endorsed projects by effective advocacy during the planning and
      approvals process including grassroots outreach and
      working with decision-makers
      •                 Increase the total number of projects endorsed per year and the program’s
      visibility
      •                 Expand the endorsement program to include neighborhood-scale projects and
      plans and coordinate efforts to influence these
      projects and plans

      Livable Communities Outreach
      The Livable Communities Outreach Program educates local residents,
      decision-makers and the media about the benefits of creating livable
      communities and the need for specific policy and planning solutions. These
      programs complement policy advocacy and planning campaigns in targeted
      communities and will be planned in collaboration with local organizations
      where possible.  This program is an expansion of Greenbelt Alliance’s
      existing Urban Outings program, which offers tours that showcase good
      examples of Bay Area infill development that is transit-oriented and
      includes affordable homes. Working with Field and Communications Staff and
      volunteers, the Livable Communities Outreach Coordinator will:
      •                 Expand the existing Urban Outings program to offer a range of outreach
      tools, including speakers’ bureaus, town hall meetings
      and communications material
      •                 Identify cities and policy issues for targeted outreach programs and
      design appropriate outreach tools for each city and issue
      •                 Organize and publicize outreach programs and events
      •                 Develop tailored messages for each outreach program and garner media
      attention for events and local issues

      Qualifications:
      The Livable Communities Outreach Coordinator will be enthusiastic and
      self-motivated with some combination of the following qualifications:

      •                 Strong written and verbal communication skills, including effectively
      facilitating meetings
      •                 Experience working with volunteers and ability to relate to a wide variety
      of people
      •                 Excellent organizational skills and proficiency at managing multiple
      projects simultaneously
      •                 Ability to work effectively in teams and in collaboration with others
      •                 Some experience in policy advocacy or working on political campaigns
      preferred
      •                 Knowledge of planning and community development processes preferred
      •                 Experience planning events and media relations is a plus
      •                 Access to a car for travel throughout the Bay Area is required

      The Livable Communities Outreach Coordinator will have a Bachelor's degree,
      with some understanding of or interest in planning and development. Most
      importantly the Outreach Coordinator will be committed to promoting livable
      communities and protecting the Bay Area’s greenbelt for this and future
      generations.

      About Greenbelt Alliance
      Greenbelt Alliance is the San Francisco Bay Area’s regional land
      conservation and urban planning non-profit organization.  Founded in 1958,
      we work to make the Bay Area a better place to live by protecting the region
      ’s greenbelt and improving the livability of our cities and towns.  In
      recent years, we have helped protect over 700,000 Greenbelt acres of
      farmlands, parks, watersheds and other open space.   We are also a leading
      advocate for the creation of livable communities that are pedestrian-and
      transit-oriented, with homes affordable to local people within our region’s
      cities and towns.  With a committed staff, there is a strong team spirit and
      sense of fun at our organization. We are headquartered in San Francisco with
      offices in San Jose, Santa Rosa, Walnut Creek, and Fairfield. See
      www.greenbelt.org for more information.

      Greenbelt Alliance values a diverse workforce and is an equal opportunity
      employer.

      Salary and Benefits
      Greenbelt Alliance is committed to a rewarding work environment.  We offer a
      starting salary of $30,000 to $34,000 depending on
      experience and a benefits package that includes 100 percent employer-paid
      medical and dental coverage, and three weeks paid vacation.  Greenbelt
      Alliance also offers opportunities for skills development and professional
      growth.

      How to Apply:
      Send a resume and cover letter to info@.... Deadline to apply -
      Friday, March 24, 2006.

      Applications can also be sent via regular mail to:
      Livable Communities Outreach Coordinator Search
      Greenbelt Alliance
      631 Howard Street, Suite 510
      San Francisco, CA 94105
      Organization Web Site: www.greenbelt.org