"A New Green Dream: Reviving Silicon Valley through Urban Ecology," (Palo Alto, Jan. 19)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 10, 2006

      ----- Forwarded by Asha Weinstein/SJSU on 01/10/2006 06:42 PM -----

      Van Jones Shares Dream of Urban Ecology and Human Rights, Jan. 19 in Palo Alto

      In celebration of M.L. King's birthday, Acterra presents ....

      Van Jones, Executive Director
      Ella Baker Center for Human Rights

      Van Jones will inspire us to resolve today's challenges by respecting all people, all species and our planet Earth.   Titled "A New Green Dream:  Reviving Silicon Valley through Urban Ecology," he will share his vision of reviving our cities, our economy and our spirits with a new wave of "green collar" jobs.

      Thursday, Jan. 19 -- 7:30 - 9 pm
      First Presbyterian Church
      1140 Cowper Street (corner of Lincoln), Palo Alto

      A dynamic young lawyer who has worked to stop inhumane incarceration of young people in California's Youth Authority prisons, Jones wants to forge a new coalition of environmentalists, urban residents and human rights activists.  If you haven't heard of him yet, you will be hearing more about him in the future -- so come and bring your friends to hear this visionary leader speaking for the first time to a Peninsula audience!

      The program is open to the public, and donations of $5-10 will be accepted at the door. No one will be turned away for lack of funds.

      The program is co-sponsored by the First Presbyterian Church of Palo Alto, Peninsula Peace and Justice Center, and the Loma Prieta Chapter of the Sierra Club.

      For more information, call Kay O'Neill, director of Acterra's Be the Change environmental leadership program, at (650) 962-9876 x345 or kayo@...

      For more information about Acterra, a local environmental organization with a 35+ year history, see www.Acterra.org