Forum at Redwood City: Understanding Civic Art

  • dayana.salazar@sjsu.edu
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2005

      Understanding Civic Art: The Urban Design of “Everything Else”

      Greg Tung

      Wednesday, December 7, 2005

      6:00pm

      The Little Fox Theatre, Downtown Redwood City

      $10.00 fee payable at door

      NO RSVP REQUIRED

      Architect and Urban Designer GREG TUNG will be speaking at “The Forum at Redwood City: A Continuing Conversation on City Design” on WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 7, 2005, from 6:00 - 7:45pm!  Don’t miss this exciting presentation on UNDERSTANDING CIVIC ART: THE URBAN DESIGN OF “EVERYTHING ELSE.”

      What other "shared" physical features of our urban environments besides buildings, streets, and green spaces help make our cities interesting, memorable and civilized places to live?  "Civic Art" is a term sometimes used to describe the things in this "everything else" category, when they are specifically designed to be beautiful and meaningful as well as useful.  In this way, the "set pieces" of benches, lampposts, walls, bridges, and landmarks serve as both the backgrounds and foregrounds of our communities.  Join us for a personal look at how a well-designed "civic infrastructure" can be an important part of making our neighborhoods and cities more unique and livable.

      About Greg Tung

      Gregory Tung is a Principal of Freedman Tung and Bottomley (FTB), a San Francisco-based urban design and town planning firm specializing in downtown and neighborhood revitalization strategies, district-based specific plans and development master plans, development standards and design review, and designs for streets, plazas, and landmarks.  In addition to his design work for FTB, Mr. Tung has contributed articles on urban design to Places and has taught and presented urban design at the College of Environmental Design, U. C. Berkeley, at the Congress for New Urbanism, and at seminars abroad. He has participated as a resource person for the Mayor's Institute for City Design and for GSA and NEA awards programs. Mr. Tung studied architecture at Yale University and the University of California-Berkeley.

      We invite you to join the region’s top planners, architects, designers and community leaders as they gather in Redwood City on December 7th for an exciting evening of engaging presentation and lively dialogue.

      About The Forum

      The Forum at Redwood City is jointly produced by Communities By Design (CBD), a local nonprofit, and the City of Redwood City, with assistance from Moore Iacofano Goltsman, Inc. (MIG). The fee for the Forum is $10 (payable at the door, checks or cash). The Forum will be held at the Little Fox Theatre, located at 2209 Broadway in Redwood City. Doors open at 5:30pm. (Please note that due to State regulations, attendance at the Little Fox Theatre is limited to persons over 21.) The presentation and discussion will be followed by an optional, no-host dinner with the speaker at a nearby restaurant in downtown Redwood City.

      Transportation: For those arriving by car, there is plenty of parking available within a comfortable walk of the Little Fox (Click here for parking information). Transit is also a great option, as the Little Fox is also only 2 blocks from the Redwood City Caltrain Station. For Caltrain schedule information, click here. Click here for a map of the area.

      If you need any additional information, please contact Dan Zack at the City of Redwood City at (650) 780-7363 or dzack@....

      HELP US GET THE WORD OUT! Please share this information with your colleagues who might be interested in attending.

      For summaries of past Forums, visit www.redwoodcity.org/forum.

      The Forum at Redwood City: A Continuing Conversation on City Design continues the FIRST WEDNESDAY OF THE MONTH, now through May 2006. We hope to see you on December 7th.

      Dan

      Dan Zack, AICP

      Downtown Development Coordinator

      City of Redwood City, Redevelopment Division

      1017 Middlefield Road

      Redwood City, CA 94063

      (650) 780-7363

      dzack@...

      www.redwoodcity.org/downtown

      "Really good downtowns are congested. Stop worrying about it and pray for it."

           -Allan Jacobs