FT Job - San Francisco - Mission Economic Development Agency - Policy Analyst
----- Forwarded by Asha Weinstein/SJSU on 11/15/2005 11:10 AM -----
Job Title: Policy Analyst
Organization: Mission Economic Development Agency
Location: San Francisco, California
Since 1973, Mission Economic Development Agency (MEDA) has engaged
individuals and small businesses in community strategies that lead to
personal asset creation and equitable economic development in the Mission
District. MEDA primarily serves low-income clients, focusing on the Latino
and/or Spanish-speaking community. In accomplishing its mission, MEDA is
involved in three distinct activities: small business assistance,
homeownership education and counseling, and community planning.
The Policy Analyst will be responsible for MEDA’s research, data collection,
analysis, and policy development. The Policy Analyst will work closely with
each of MEDA’s programs to develop relevant needs data and policy
recommendations. Based on broader community goals, the Policy Analyst will
work to develop appropriate land use zoning regulations in the Mission
District. These efforts will lead to the availability of strong data tools
in the neighborhood and policies that benefit MEDA’s small businesses and
working class constituency.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Collect and organize demographic, socio-economic, and land use data.
• Play a leadership role in writing technical reports, including Specific
Plans, Area Plans and Land Use Plans.
• Write technical reports on issues, including: the need for homeownership,
the role of small businesses in community, and asset development.
• Coordinate MEDA’s policy outputs, including data gathering, analysis,
staff input, and finalizing products.
• Regularly attend and provide input at the Planning Commission and Board of
Supervisors hearings as it relates to policy work.
• Actively participate in land use policy and development efforts,
including: recommendations, citywide task forces, development negotiations,
and public advocacy.
• Remain knowledgeable of current policy initiatives and be able to respond
in an effective and timely manner.
• Contribute to MEDA’s fundraising activities.
• Strengthen partnerships between MEDA, other community-based organizations,
and public agencies.
• Excellent writing skills. Individual must be able to write technical
• Excellent data collection, analysis, and reporting ability required.
• Excellent verbal communication and presentation skills. Public speaking
• Experience in land use planning and GIS strongly recommended.
• Familiarity with San Francisco’s political environment preferred.
• Familiarity with asset building strategies preferred.
• Must be available to work outside regular business hours.
• Spanish fluency a plus.
How to Apply:
Send resume and cover letter to:
Organization Web Site: www.medasf.org