Art And Planning/Katrina

  • frankandjoy
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 22, 2005
      Hi All,

      I wrote a few thoughts I would like to share with you about the role of the arts in planning.

      How Is Art Relevant To Planning?
      The purpose of planning is to identify and resolve critical issues facing a variety of world environments. The arts are one part of the solution. They are a necessary component for vibrant places.
      Healthy cities combine all disciplines. For that reason, planners need to be exposed to the arts so they can learn to welcome them as a planning tool. How do the arts assist planning? They beautify the landscape, offer opportunities for personal expression and mastery of skills, bring unity and healing during times of crisis, and create business options. The arts must be included at the planning table.
      First and foremost I am an artist who relies on art to strengthen community. I am also a planner. My goal for the future is to make a professional connection serving as an advocate for the arts, in every form, within the field of urban planning. I welcome keeping connected with SJSU MURPS as I follow this path.

      Your friend,

      Joy Neas

      There will be an auction of Charlie Brown sculptures (created as a public art project for the City of Santa Rosa) this Sunday, September 25. The information is included below.

      Join 55 Charlie Browns for Santa Rosa's Summer Blockhead Party!

      Who other than Charlie Brown could put the "Blockhead" in Santa Rosa's September Blockhead Party? To celebrate the conclusion of the summer-long "It's Your Town, Charlie Brown" tribute to Charles M. Schulz, Santa Rosa is hosting an all-ages Blockhead Party, followed by the auctioning of the life-size Charlie Brown statues that were not kept by their sponsors.

      Join Charlie Brown and the Schulz family on Sunday, September 25 at the Charles M. Schulz Museum softball field for live music, food, and fun, and take advantage of your last chance to see all 55 uniquely-painted Charlie Brown statues together! Starting at 11:00 a.m., enjoy our featured activities, including two jump-houses, crafts for kids, Peanuts characters, a live band, great local food, and more! Many artists will also be available to sign souvenir books, and this will be your last opportunity to purchase raffle tickets and merchandise. The Tourist Charlie Brown Raffle will be held at 3:00 p.m., so stock up on raffle tickets (only $1.00 for a chance to win a statue) and be listening for your name!

      Following the Blockhead Party, all guests are welcome to stay and watch the Charlie Brown Auction, starting at 4:00 p.m. inside the Snoopy's Home Ice Arena.

      Bring your friends, family, and camera to this free community event, and help celebrate the end of this summer's tribute to Charles M. Schulz, "It's Your Town, Charlie Brown!"

      Hours: 11:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
      Location: Snoopy's Field, behind the Schulz Museum located at 2301 Hardies Lane, Santa Rosa, California
      Admission: Free!
      Raffle for Tourist Charlie Brown: 3:00 p.m.
      Auction: 4:00 p.m.

      Participating Vendors:

      The Chippery, Cold Stone Creamery, Kettle Corn & Lemonade, Mom's Apple Pie, Peter Rabbit Chocolates, Pink Elephant, Mary's Pizza, Johnny Garlic's

      Sponsors:

      Q105, Mix 104.1, Jammin 107.1, St. Joseph Health System, Redwood Credit Union, Omelette Express, Santa Rosa Plaza, Exchange Bank, Santa Rosa Golf & Country Club, Snoopy's Gallery & Gift Shop, Adobe Associates, Inc., Alexander's Van & Storage

      I received this email and thought I should pass it along.

      Two weeks have passed since Katrina ravaged New Orleans, Biloxi and the Gulf Coast of the United States, and thousands of displaced individuals are without permanent shelter, employment, income and, unfortunately, members of their families. As a nation, we must ensure that the immediate needs of the victims of this storm and its aftermath are met effectively and expeditiously as possible. But at Redefining Progress, a research and advocacy organization working at the intersection of the environment, the economy, equity and sustainability, we are as concerned with the present as we are with the future.

      We are concerned that the lessons we can extract from the disaster of Hurricane Katrina will go unlearned. Redefining Progress urges that as the city of New Orleans, the region and the United States move from discussions of rescue to those of reconstruction, we keep key themes in mind:

      Katrina's immediate and long-term impacts demonstrate our nation's vulnerability to both climate change and the toxic industries which contribute to it. With climate change, these devastating events are likely to become more frequent and even more disastrous.
      Poor populations and communities of color are disproportionately affected by climate change and its effects--and the wake of Katrina has borne out that reality. We must act on climate change now--for the benefit of these communities and for the benefit of our future.
      residents must lead in the process of the reconstruction of their city. They must harness ownership of all facets of rebuilding--including process, politics and property--to guarantee that the reconstruction reflects and protects their interests.
      Read the complete Redefining Progress statement on Katrina, her impact and our response.

      Hurricane Katrina's effects have been devastating, disproportionate and destructive. And justice demands that we tend to the needs of the least and the left out immediately. But justice also demands that we address the systemic environmental, economic and social issues that may make disasters like Katrina more frequent, more dangerous and more devastating. Redefining Progress plans to be at the forefront of that work, on behalf of people, nature and the economy.

      To aid victims of Hurricane Katrina, visit the Southern Partners Fund who has set up a Justice Fund for Katrina Relief and Renewal.

      Redefining Progress, through its support of the Environmental Justice and Climate Change Initiative and the Climate Justice Corps, is well-equipped to help Gulf Coast residents organize around, advocate for and educate their fellow residents, local and state governments and non-profit organizations on effecting positive solutions to the complex issues of rebuilding a safer, healthier and more secure Gulf Coast. To help support this crucial work, visit Redefining Progress's website. We are mobilizing for action: on Saturday, Sept. 17, two emerging leaders of the environmental movement who have gone through RP's Climate Justice Corps program will join executive director Michel Gelobter to announce the expansion of the program at the Clinton Global Initiative gathering in New York City.

      Nia Robinson, 2003 CJC member with Detroiters Working for Environmental Justice in Detroit, Michigan and Brittany Cochran, 2004 CJC member with the Deep South Center for Environmental Justice in New Orleans, Louisiana will share their experience and present the vision of the program to an audience of world leaders, including Tony Blair of Britain, President Jacques Chirac of France, Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey, President Olusegun Obasanjo of Nigeria, President Victor Yushchenko of Ukraine and the United Nations' Secretary General Kofi Annan. More about this program can be found at the EJCC's website.

    • JenJoy Roybal
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 30, 2005
        For those of you interested in the topic of arts & culture in planning,
        a leading authority on the topic is Charles Landry. He will be the
        keynote speaker at the Creativity Matters Conference being held at the
        Westin Santa Clara Hotel on October 6th & 7th. He will be speaking at
        9:00am on October 6th. I am including a link to the website and
        encourage you to attend. If you're really interested, I can look into a
        discount for students-LMK.

        I am also attaching a PDF which summarizes recommendations he provided
        for the city of Adelaide, Australia, as part of a Thinker in Residence
        Program he was invited to participate in. Very interesting.

        -JenJoy Roybal

        http://www.1stact.org/conference/index.jsp

        Bio from the Creativity Matters website:
        Charles Landry
        Author of "Creative Cities: A Toolkit for Urban Innovators"
        Charles Landry is regarded as an international authority on city
        futures and the use of culture in city revitalization; cultural
        planning and heritage, strategic policy development, and the cultural
        industries.He founded Co-media, Europe’s leading cultural planning
        organization, in 1978. Co-media has undertaken several hundred projects
        concerned with city and regional strategies for revitalizing public,
        social and economic life through cultural activities. He recently
        advised the World Bank in Washington on its strategy for culture and
        cities world-wide. He now works for the World Bank on special
        assignments. His book ‘The Creative City: A toolkit for urban
        innovators,’ was published in May 2000 to widespread acclaim. He has
        lectured widely in Europe, the USA, Australia and Africa and has
        presented over 90 keynote addresses on diverse topics associated with
        cultural revitalization and public life. His new book will be entitled,
        “The Art of City Making.”

        When: Thursday and Friday, October 6 & 7, 2005
        Where: Westin Santa Clara Hotel / 5101 Great America Parkway / Santa
        Clara, CA 95054
        Info: info@... or 408-998-2787 x217
        Sponsors: Adobe - American Leadership Forum - Arts Council Silicon
        Valley - California Arts Council
        Community Foundation Silicon Valley - The Packard Foundation