Internship - Palo Alto, CA - Sierra Club - Municipal Water Conservation

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 9, 2005

      Help Us Improve Municipal Water Conservation and Protect Our Watersheds

      Ø        Are you concerned about water conservation?
      Ø        Want to Make a Difference?

      Internship Opportunity Available
      with the Nation’s Largest and Oldest Environmental Organization

      The Loma Prieta Chapter of the Sierra Club is engaged in a campaign to ensure that the upgrade of our Regional Water System results in improved conservation practices, watershed restoration and a high quality sustainable water supply to over 2 million people living in the Bay Area. 28 cities on the Peninsula and in the South Bay purchase water from this system. The success of our campaign depends on good information and mobilizing members and the general public to demand that their water supply and the watersheds it comes from are protected.

      This internship opportunity provides you with a chance to use your research and writing skills as well as learn how grassroots campaigns engage with the political system. You will learn about where your water comes from, the complex set of institutions that ensure our water supply and why restoration and conservation are critical aspects of maintaining a high-quality, sustainable resource.

      Project description:
      1.        Research conservation policies of Bay Area Water Supply & Conservation member cities and additional conservation practices. Develop white paper and power point presentation to be used in educating city staff and council members about range of conservation practices available and how to integrate them into city policy.
      2.        Write short article for Chapter newsletter explaining best practices for home and business.

      Internships with the Sierra Club are eligible for credit. Please contact your department chair or advisor regarding how to take advantage of this opportunity.

      For more information please contact
      Melissa Hippard, Director
      Sierra Club, Loma Prieta Chapter                         www.lomaprieta.sierraclub.org
      Melissa.hippard@...