From TALC: Various Bay Area events (plus an internship and job) related to transportation

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 8, 2005

      Dear MURPs members,

      For those of you new to the area or to transportation planning, the Transportation and Land Use Coalition (TALC) is a local nonprofit quite active in these areas.  Below you will find their latest emailed update of events.  Some of you may be interested in the events listed below, as well as the opportunity to do some research and policy analysis (item 5) or the administrative position (item 3).

      If you are interested in learning more about TALC's activities, you should subscribe to this newsletter (instructions are at the end of the message), as I will not forward it again this year.

      Best regards,

      Asha Weinstein

      Assistant Professor
      Department of Urban and Regional Planning
      San José State University
      One Washington Square
      San Jose, CA 95192-0185
      email: asha.weinstein@...
      phone: 408-924-5853
      web page: http://www.sjsu.edu/faculty/weinstein/

      ----- Forwarded by Asha Weinstein/SJSU on 09/08/2005 09:57 PM -----
      "Stuart Cohen, TALC" <info@...>

      09/08/2005 05:22 PM

      TALC email list <stuart@...>
      cc
      Subject
      TALC e-update: ground-breaking land-use policy, more...

      Transportation and Land Use Coalition (TALC)

      Coalition Update: September 2005

      1. Next TALC regional meeting — Sept. 21
      2. The Great Communities Initiative (GCI)
      3. TALC is hiring
      4. MTC approves ground-breaking land-use policy!
      5. Help us find new funding sources for regional transportation
      6. Overwhelming response to Safe Routes to Transit funding
      7. Nominations open for TALC's board of directors
      8. A few dollars per month goes a long way!
      9. Forum on the new Federal transportation bill — Sept. 14
      10. Grand tour of Bay Area rail and ferry services — Sept. 15 & Nov. 10
      11. League of Women Voters program on reforming CEQA — Sept. 24
      12. Creating winning bike/pedestrian campaigns — Oct. 21-23
      13. Self-guided urban outings from Greenbelt Alliance

      1. Next TALC regional meeting -- Sept. 21
      TALC's next regional meeting will feature a discussion of new ways that
      could make it significantly easier to build infill housing, particularly
      around transit station areas. The discussion will include state legislation
      about regional growth plans, (SB 832) an infrastructure bond (SB 1024), and
      new concepts for environmental review of urban infill and housing projects.
      While these ideas would streamline new infill housing development, some are
      concerned that community participation would be cut out.

      At our meeting, we will review the impacts of any legislation that passes,
      and discuss pros and cons of bills that will carry over to next year. We
      are inviting Tom Adams of the California League of Conservation Voters (an
      architect of many of these concepts), staff from Senator Perata's office,
      and representatives of social equity and housing groups involved in the
      debates. The meeting is open to all. Wednesday, September 21, 5:30-7:30 pm.
      (Orientation for new attendees from 5:00-5:30.) Sierra Club, 85 2nd Street,
      San Francisco.

      View our calendar of events:
      <http://www.transcoalition.org/calendar.html>www.transcoalition.org/calendar.html

      2. The Great Communities Initiative (GCI)
      TALC's Strategic Plan laid out an ambitious new initiative to fundamentally
      shift how and where the region grows, with the aim of ensuring that half of
      all new homes built in the Bay Area by 2030 are in walkable communities
      located near transit, at a range of prices affordable to families of all
      income levels. By working in collaboration with other regional partners, we
      can redirect growth away from natural areas and working farms, and instead
      reinvest in our existing communities. We can build homes that provide
      choices so that all residents, at every income level, can find great
      communities to live, work, and play: communities with access to good jobs,
      schools, parks, transportation, shopping, and other necessities. To see a
      description of this developing initiative, our local effort to date in San
      Mateo's Bay Meadows, and a slew of resources on Great Communities, visit
      the GCI section of TALC's website.

      Learn more:
      <http://www.transcoalition.org/c/gci/gci_home.html>www.transcoalition.org/c/gci/gci_home.html

      3. TALC is hiring
      The Transportation and Land Use Coalition (TALC) is hiring a full or
      part-time Administrative Director. We seek an experienced, highly organized
      individual to manage financial, human resource, and administrative
      operations in our downtown Oakland office. Both full and part-time
      employees receive health and dental insurance and generous vacation and
      comp time. TALC is an equal opportunity employer and people of color and
      women are strongly encouraged to apply. Applications are due by September
      15, 2005. Please forward this announcement to your contacts!

      More info:
      <http://www.transcoalition.org/about/about_jobs.html>www.transcoalition.org/about/about_jobs.html

      4. MTC approves ground-breaking land-use policy!
      On July 27, 2005, the Metropolitan Transportation Commission (MTC) approved
      a ground-breaking policy that establishes that new transit projects will
      not be funded until cities plan and zone for a minimum threshold of homes
      around new stations, including pedestrian- and bike-oriented design. These
      “transit villages” can ensure a good investment of our regional transit
      dollars by increasing the number of riders and reducing traffic. They can
      create vibrant communities that accommodate growth without sprawling onto
      open space.

      The Transportation and Land Use Coalition spearheaded the campaign, in
      conjunction with Greenbelt Alliance and the Non-Profit Housing Association.
      TALC's member groups were particularly instrumental in getting letters and
      postcards to their Commissioners, and showing up at meetings to counter the
      arguments of those who would like to continue the failed status quo. Thanks
      to all who helped with this effort! While TALC wanted higher thresholds,
      MTC did include many of our suggestions on parking, affordable housing, and
      more.

      You can take action by contacting MTC Commissioners and thank them for
      passing this policy.
      <http://www.mtc.ca.gov/about_mtc/commphot.htm>Commissioners' contact
      information is listed on the MTC website.

      Learn more:
      <http://www.transcoalition.org/c/landuse/landuse_home.html>www.transcoalition.org/c/landuse/landuse_home.html

      5. Volunteers/interns wanted for transportation funding campaign
      Bay Area transportation projects and transit operators sorely need
      additional sources of revenue. To investigate new funding options, TALC has
      formed a Regional Transportation Funding workgroup (formerly called the VLF
      Working Group). To date, the group has researched a broad range of options
      for generating additional transportation funding and focused in on several
      promising options. Our next steps include soliciting feedback from member
      groups on promising funding mechanisms, and gauging levels of public
      support. TALC will use the results of the group’s analysis and outreach to
      initiate a campaign for a new regional funding measure. The next TFG
      meeting will be Wednesday, September 28, 12:30-1:30 pm via teleconference.
      If you would like to join the call, please visit our webpage for the
      call-in number and access code.

      We are also seeking graduate student interns to oversee outreach and policy
      analysis related to this project. The opportunity is ideal for someone who
      wants experience in community outreach and policy development, and the
      project can be shaped to fulfill thesis requirements. View the
      <http://www.transcoalition.org/about/about_intern_vol.html#fundinginterns>internship
      description online.

      Learn more:
      <http://www.transcoalition.org/c/sus_funding/funding.html>www.transcoalition.org/c/sus_funding/funding.html

      6. Overwhelming response to Safe Routes to Transit funding
      There was an overwhelming response to the new Safe Routes to Transit (SR2T)
      grant program ­ TALC received 39 applications requesting a total of $17.2
      million of funding. We wish we had more than $4 million to give out this
      year, and we will make sure that the high demand for this type of funding
      doesn’t go unnoticed. We are working to get the applications ready for
      review by the SR2T Advisory Committee, and hope to pass a list of
      recommendations for funding to the Metropolitan Transportation Commission
      in November, and have the final list of projects approved in December. For
      more information about SR2T, or to review a list of applications we
      received, visit the website or contact Amber Crabbe, TALC Program Director,
      at 510-740-3105.

      Learn more:
      <http://www.transcoalition.org/c/bikeped/bikeped_saferoutes.html>www.transcoalition.org/c/bikeped/bikeped_saferoutes.html

      7. Nominations open for TALC's board of directors
      There are openings for four members of the Board of Directors of the
      Transportation and Land Use Coalition (TALC), and you are invited to
      nominate a candidate(s) by October 19, 2005. The Board of Directors plays a
      critical role in guiding TALC’s policy, programs, strategic planning, and
      overall fiscal responsibility. The dedication and skill of the current
      Board has been a critical factor in the success of TALC, and this is an
      exciting opportunity for supporters who want to make a deeper contribution
      to TALC's work and mission. There are twelve members of the Board, and the
      terms are up for four of them.

      More info:
      <http://www.transcoalition.org/about/board_elections.html>www.transcoalition.org/about/board_elections.html

      8. A few dollars per month goes a long way!
      Join our growing list of Individual Supporters and help ensure TALC can
      continue to provide leadership, and victories, on key regional issues. We
      now have over 20 supporters who help with an easy monthly recurring
      donation of $5, $10, or $20. We are halfway to our goal of $1,000 each
      month. Help us reach the goal! Monthly donations are easy, convenient, and
      can be updated or cancelled at any time. Please don't delay; with
      foundation funding down we are counting on you and our other supporters.
      Visit our secure web page to see benefits that supporters enjoy.

      To make a donation:
      <https://secure.groundspring.org/dn/index.php?aid=3319>https://secure.groundspring.org/dn/index.php?aid=3319

      Member Groups In Action

      9. Forum on the new Federal transportation bill -- Sept. 14
      Congress recently passed a new multi-year, $280 billion Federal
      transportation bill. The Bay Area will receive its share, with funds
      targeted for the Transbay Terminal, highway widening across the region, and
      bike and pedestrian improvements, to name just a few. How will these
      changes impact our local and regional transportation systems? On Wednesday,
      September 14 at 12:30 p.m., join Randy Rentschler, manager of legislation
      and public affairs at the Metropolitan Transportation Commission, for a
      discussion of the new bill’s implications. SPUR forums are open to the
      public, free for members and $5 for non-members. SPUR forums are held at
      312 Sutter Street #500 (at Grant) in San Francisco.

      More info: <http://www.spur.org/calendar.asp>www.spur.org/calendar.asp

      10. Grand tour of Bay Area rail and ferry services -- Sept. 15 & Nov. 10
      On September 15 and November 10, from 9:45 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., the Friends
      of SMART (Sonoma Marin Area Rail Transit) will sponsor a grand tour of Bay
      Area rail and ferry services. The tour will begin and end at the Larkspur
      Ferry Terminal. The tour ($50) will traverse the following services:
      Larkspur Golden Gate Ferry, San Francisco Light Rail­N Judah Line, CalTrain
      Station and equipment­4th & King St., Alameda/Oakland Ferry, AMTRAK Capitol
      Corridor, Altamont Commuter Express, and BART. For further information,
      call 707-578-9133 (days) or 707-837-8814 (evenings) or e-mail
      <mailto:fos@...>fos@....

      11. League of Women Voters program on reforming CEQA -- Sept. 24
      The League of Women Voters of the Bay Area's fall meeting will be Know Your
      Bay Area Day on Saturday, September 24, 2005 from 9:30-1:00 p.m. The
      program ($10) will focus on the California Environmental Quality Act
      (CEQA), addressing how has it worked and whether it needs to be changed.
      The meeting will be held at the Fremont Main Library at 2400 Stevenson
      Blvd. Visit the website for speakers and reservation information.

      More info:
      <http://www.lwvba-ca.org/lwvba/VOTER/VOTERAug05.htm#kyba>www.lwvba-ca.org/lwvba/VOTER/VOTERAug05.htm#kyba

      12. Creating winning bike/pedestrian campaigns -- Oct. 21-23
      Dave Snyder of the Thunderhead Alliance (and former Executive Director of
      the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition) will offer a weekend campaign training
      on October 21-23. The training teaches how to craft a winning campaign ­
      whether for a bike lane on a busy street, a controversial transit village
      proposal, or a safe routes to school program ­ while building a powerful
      long-lasting force for advocacy in the course of your campaigning. The
      curriculum is based on tried-and-true campaign strategies modified for
      bicycle and pedestrian advocacy in the 21st century. The training will help
      you to substantially expand the effect of your work ­ and hanging out with
      fellow bicycle and pedestrian advocates in San Francisco in October is a
      whole lot of fun!

      More info:
      <http://www.thunderheadalliance.org/trainings05sf.htm>www.thunderheadalliance.org/trainings05sf.htm

      13. Self-guided urban outings from Greenbelt Alliance
      Greenbelt Alliance has a new set of self-guided tours that lead community
      members around their cities to showcase good examples of infill
      development, affordable housing, transit-oriented development, and urban
      revitalization in existing Bay Area communities. Tours have been developed
      for Berkeley, San Rafael, and Mountain View with tours for Vallejo and San
      Francisco in the works. These tours are a chance for community members to
      acquaint themselves with the urban planning efforts being made to improve
      the liveability of their neighborhoods. You can download Greenbelt
      Alliance's Self-Guided Urban Outings from their website.

      More info:
      <http://www.greenbelt.org/getinvolved/outings/index.html>www.greenbelt.org/getinvolved/outings/index.html

      Transportation and Land Use Coalition (TALC)
      TALC is a partnership of over 90 groups working for a sustainable and
      socially just Bay Area. We envision a region with healthy, walkable
      communities that provide all residents with transportation choices and
      affordable housing. The coalition analyzes county and regional policies,
      works with community groups to develop alternatives, and coordinates
      grassroots campaigns.

      TALC List Instructions:
      You received this email because you gave TALC your email address, or
      someone forwarded this message to you.

      - to SUBSCRIBE, send an email to:
      <<mailto:info@...>info@...>. Be sure to
      include your full mailing address and organization name, phone and fax
      numbers, and indicate what alert you are responding to.

      - to LIMIT to 1-2 emails per month, which includes meeting announcements
      and general newsletters, reply with "Public list only" in the subject line

      - to UNSUBSCRIBE, reply with "No E-mail" in the subject line

      - to be fully REMOVED from our database, reply with "Remove from TALC" in
      the subject line (and please let us know why).

      everyone09a