Trompe L'Oeil Exhibit

  • frankneas
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 28, 2005
      Hi All,

      Don't miss your chance to see the stunning painting technique known as trompe l'oeil, often used to transform blank walls from visual blight to visual interest (Marion Payet provided many examples of this artform during the Market Almaden project)  This exhibit is being offered at Stockton's Haggin Museum until September 4.  Museum admission is $5 except on Saturday, August 6 when admission is free.

      If you let me know when you will be visiting the museum, I can arrange to meet you. I hope you will take this opportunity to see firsthand this creative planning solution.

      Sincerely,

      Joy Neas
      (209) 464-6868

      Victory Park
      1201 N. Pershing Ave.
      Stockton, CA  95203
      (209) 940-6300
      info@...

      Trompe L'Oeil: The Art of Illusion
      July 10 - September 4, 2005
      Upper West Gallery

      Hollyhocks and Memories
      Hollyhocks and Memories by Debra Teare, 2002, oil on canvas
      A new special exhibition of contemporary art will open July 10 at The Haggin Museum. Trompe L’Oeil: The Art of Illusion will feature 65 paintings by thirteen American artists and will be on view through September 4.

      The art of trompe l’oeil, a French term meaning “to fool the eye,” dates back to classical Greek antiquity. It refers to paintings so realistic that they trick the viewer into thinking that the objects or scenes represented are real rather than painted. This technique demands exceptional virtuosity on the part of the artist and is very time-consuming to create.

      Trompe l’oeil gained great popularity in America during the nineteenth-century, thanks to artists like William Harnett. These artists startled viewers with depictions of commonplace objects like stamps, dollar bills, pipes, musical instruments, books, photographs, and newspapers that appeared so real that Harnett at one point actually faced charges of counterfeiting for his realistic portrayal of money. The technique of representing these objects against a flat or shallow surface created the illusion that they extended into the viewer’s space. This art form continues to fascinate contemporary artists like Larry Charles, one of the artists in the exhibition: “The appeal of painting trompe l’oeil artwork for me is the ‘wow factor’ that comes from creating seemingly three-dimensional objects within a two-dimensional painting space. I believe the objects can’t be just items that are pretty to paint; they must help tell a story or illustrate a theme so that the painting involves the viewer at many levels.”

      Hollyhocks and Memories
      Baseball by Gary T. Erbe, 1990, oil on canvas, 39 x 49 inches
      The contemporary trompe l’oeil artists featured in this exhibition readily acknowledge their debt to Harnett and his colleagues. Inevitably, however, they approach this genre through the filter of the modern era. Artist and exhibition curator Gary T. Erbe, sums up the challenge: “Over the years, I have tried to bridge the gap between modern art and realism, never abandoning technique while trying to create a personal style of work attuned with the time in which I live.” Each artist in the show has resolved the dilemma of creating trompe l’oeil art in a different way.

      Arizona-based painter Donald Clapper, has turned to America’s Western frontier for inspiration, creating tableaux that blend money, stamps, and antiques. Gayle Tate of Wyoming replicates Harnett’s talent for rendering paper currency. Utah painter Deborah Teare’s trompe l’oeil paintings convey her love for nature. For Michael Gallarda, inspiration for his paintings frequently comes from old photographs of women.

      Gary T. Erbe selected these and other trompe l’oeil artists to join him in this traveling exhibition, developed and managed by Smith Kramer Fine Art Services, an exhibition tour development company in Kansas City, Missouri. The Haggin Museum will be one of only twelve museums nationwide showing this exhibition.

      Erbe makes a compelling case for seeing it: “This exhibition will challenge the viewers’ imagination while pleasing the viewers’ eyes. Many of the works go beyond aesthetics elevating this wonderful art form to a new level of creativity. Trompe l’oeil is moving along with the times and yet is deeply rooted to its past.”

      An informal summer evening reception on Friday, July 15, 6:00-8:00 p.m. will give the public an opportunity to enjoy this new special exhibition at The Haggin Museum. Wine and beer, along with tasty hors d’oeuvres, will be served. The cost will be $10 per person at the door. RSVP to the museum’s Administrative Assistant at 209-940-6311 or AdminAssistant@....

      MUSEUM INFORMATION
      The Haggin Museum is located in Stockton's Victory Park, 1201 N. Pershing Ave., and is open Wednesday-Sunday, 1:30-5 p.m. Admission is $5 for adults 18 and up; $2.50 for youth ages 10-17, students with a valid I.D., and seniors 65 and over; and free for museum members and children under 10 accompanied by an adult. Admission is free to all on the first Saturday of the month.

      Free docent-led tours may be booked in advance by contacting Elisa Barosso at (209) 940-6332 or education@.... For disabled access, call ahead at (209) 940-6311 or 940-6317.

      The Museum Store, which features a variety of merchandise inspired by the museum’s special exhibitions and collections, is open Wednesday-Sunday, 1:30-4:30 p.m. Individuals interested in trompe l’oeil painting will find several interesting books on that subject in the Store, including one for young people.

      < Back to Exhibitions
      << Back to Home Page
      < Previous Exhibition | Next Exhibition >

      ©2005 Haggin Museum, All Rights Reserved.
      Site Hosted and Designed by
      StocktoNet.