----- Forwarded by Asha
Weinstein/SJSU on 06/15/2005 05:54 PM -----
Job Title: Regional Sustainability Initiative Coordinator
Organization: Redefining Progress
Redefining Progress is a sustainability think tank located in Oakland,
California. RP works with partners to shift the economy and public
The Regional Sustainability Initiative (RSI) at Redefining Progress focuses
on the application of RP’s tools at the local and regional level to promote
a more sustainable Bay Area. The goals of the RSI are:
1. To incorporate sustainable economic and public policy in Bay Area
2. To build capacity in Bay Area leadership, non-profits, governments,
colleges for addressing the relationship between social justice, economic
growth, and environmental health; and
3. To generate social, environmental, and economic accountability for
sustainable development through tools like the Genuine Progress Indicator,
the Ecological Footprint, and Scenarios for Sustainability.
RP is seeking a Regional Sustainability Initiative Coordinator who will
interface with all of Redefining Progress’s programs to ensure that RP’s
tools for sustainability are applied effectively in the Bay Area. The
Coordinator will reach out to community and regional organizations, local
planners, elected representatives, and colleges and universities.
The RSI Coordinator’s job duties include:
• Bottom line accountability for the three goals of the RSI.
• Identify opportunities to apply RP’s innovative tools to key land use
projects and potential developments. Communicate benefits of tools
results of analyses to planners and elected officials at cities, counties,
and regional agencies in the Bay Area.
• Act as a liaison to regional organizations and regional advocacy groups
monitor their activities, explore partnership possibilities, and ensure
their awareness of RP’s tools.
• Do development tasks including foundation research and cultivation,
• Coordinate RP’s flagship Leadership Forums on Sustainability.
• Identify partnership opportunities and new ways RP’s work can serve
justice organizations in the Bay Area.
The ideal candidate will have a combination of the following qualifications:
• Skilled in coalition building, organizing, policy analysis, and
• Masters or Bachelors degree in urban planning, environmental policy,
geography, public policy, or related field.
• Knowledge of and experience with urban planning processes.
• Excellent research and writing abilities.
• Experience with development tasks such as foundation research, letters
inquiry, grant proposals, and foundation reports.
• Familiarity with the nonprofit community in the Bay Area.
Position is full time. Salary DOE, plus excellent medical and dental
How to Apply:
To apply, please submit a letter of interest, resume, and writing sample
opening@... or mail application to:
Attn: RSI Coordinator Search
1904 Franklin Street, 6th Floor
Oakland, CA 94612
Redefining Progress is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage
and people of color to apply.
Organization Web Site: www.rprogress.org