FT Position - San Francisco - Bernal Heights Neighborhood Center - Housing Rehab Loan Specialist
----- Forwarded by Asha Weinstein/SJSU on 06/02/2005 05:50 PM -----
Job Title: Housing Rehab Loan Specialist
Organization: Bernal Heights Neighborhood Center
Location: San Francisco
Job Summary: Under the direction of the Housing Director, the Rehab Loan
Specialist performs a wide variety of tasks related to the ongoing
management, operation, and development of the BHNC Housing Rehabilitation
Program, a City-financed assistance program offering deferred loans to
low-income owner-occupants for the rehabilitation of residential property.
This person is responsible for all aspects of program marketing, public
relations, and rehab loan processing. The position requires familiarity with
loan and real estate transactions and some knowledge of construction
principles, procedures, and issues. A high degree of initiative,
responsibility, organization, and accountability is necessary to be
effective in this position. The job affords the opportunity to interact
with people of diverse backgrounds, ethnicities, and lifestyles. The person
in this position must be highly organized to be able to manage
simultaneously many projects in varying stages of work, while complying with
operational and regulatory deadlines. The work requires that files are
complete and organized and all documentation is kept thorough and
up-to-date. The success of these projects demands that the Rehab Loan
Specialist be able to communication skillfully with a variety of different
people, including low-income homeowners, professional consultants, and City
staff. This Rehabilitation program works with the City’s Community Housing
Rehabilitation Program (CHRP) which, starting July 1, 2005, will be a
The Organization: Bernal Heights Neighborhood Center (BHNC) is a member led,
community based multi-service agency founded in 1978. Our mission is “to
preserve and enhance the ethnic, cultural and economic diversity and
well-being of the Bernal Heights community. We work to build a strong
community for all, with a focus on the needs of low and moderate-income
people. We do this by providing services to support and increase
opportunities for seniors, youth and others most at-risk; by preserving and
expanding access to affordable housing; and by building the neighborhood's
power and capacity to achieve these goals. We commit to being a provider of
essential services, a builder of community, and a force for organizing
neighborhood change.” The Housing Program contributes toward these goals by
working throughout the City to provide and preserve stable and affordable
homes for a broad diversity of populations. The Center has five key
programs: Affordable Housing, Senior and
Youth Services, Economic Development and Community Organizing.
· Work collaboratively with the Construction Specialist and the
Housing Director to produce an annual work plan for the rehab program and
execute that plan.
· Design and implement an affirmative marketing plan to provide
outreach primarily to Bernal Heights and Excelsior/ Outer Mission
· Assess potential applicants for program eligibility.
· Provide technical assistance to homeowners and compile loan
applications for submission to the Mayor’s Office of Housing.
· Closely coordinate with the homeowner, Mayor’s Office of
Housing staff, and the Construction Specialist in order to ensure timely
compilation of all materials necessary for a complete and timely loan
· Meticulously prepare the complete loan application including
a cover letter summarizing the application being presented.
· Prepare property assessments as needed.
· Prepare construction work scopes as needed.
· Prepare construction progress pay applications as needed.
· Coordinate preparation of architectural/ engineering drawings
· Prepare compliance reports monthly for submission to the
Mayor’s Office of Housing.
· Act as the primary liaison between the BHNC Housing Rehab
Program and the Mayor’s Office of Housing and the other participating
· Develop and evaluate program goals and procedures.
· Provide appropriate reports and program documents as
requested by City/County agencies, funding sources, or BHNC.
· Monitor BHNC’s Rehab Program compliance with Federal, State,
and local program requirements and regulations.
· Participate in BHNC community-wide efforts and events
including the annual membership drive, Fiesta on the Hill street fair, and
BHNC’s annual Community Congress among others.
· Perform other tasks related to the Housing Rehabilitation
program that may be required.
KNOWLEDGE/ SKILLS REQUIRED BY THE JOB
· College degree in a related field.
· Knowledge of basic lending principles and familiarity with
procedures involved in real estate transactions are preferred
· Knowledge of construction practices and how to assess
property conditions are preferred.
· Ability to work with people and to communicate clearly and
directly with people of different age groups, ethnicities and circumstances.
· Ability to work well in a fast paced environment as part of a
· Non-profit experience and/ or experience working with
government funding agencies is preferred.
· Well-developed problem solving and organizational skills, and
the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
· Strong analytical and writing skills and proficiency at
· Proficient with computers especially MS Word, MS Excel and
· Possession of a valid California driver’s license is
· Fluency in English and a language other than English
(especially Spanish) is desirable
Salary: DOE; Full-time, 40 hours per week non-exempt position.
BHNC offers a competitive package of benefits.
BHNC is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply:
Send resume with a cover letter and salary history to BHNC, attn. Housing
Director, Housing Rehabilitation Loan Specialist Search, 515 Cortland
Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94110, or email to abeinart@...
type=x> (note “Housing Rehabilitation Loan Specialist Search” in the
subject line). Applications MUST be received by 4:00pm June 6.
Organization Web Site: www.bhnc.org <http://www.bhnc.org/>