Green Building Educational Series

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 11, 2002
      Hello green building stakeholders,

      The City of San Jose invites you to participate in its Green Building
      Educational Series, sponsored by the City of San Jose Green Building
      Program. Our guest speaker to kick off the 2002 calendar will discuss
      the
      benefits of climate-friendly cement and how to incorporate this product
      into
      LEED projects. Please read on for more information...hope to see you
      there.

      Darren C. Bouton
      Green Building Coordinator
      City of San Jose - Environmental Services Department
      777 N. First Street, Suite 300
      San Jose, CA 95112
      408-277-4670
      darren.bouton@...

      "We shape our dwellings, and afterwards our dwellings shape our lives."
      -- Winston Churchill

      Learn about Green Building! Click here...
      http://www.ci.san-jose.ca.us/esd/gb-home.htm

      The City of San José invites you to participate in
      its Green Building Educational Series.
      This series is sponsored by the City of San José.

      "Climate-Friendly Cement"
      Guest Speaker: Scot Horst, Horst, Inc.
      Thursday, March 21, 2002
      2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
      Martin Luther King Library Building, McDaniel Community Room
      180 W. San Carlos Street, San José, California

      please arrive 15 minutes early to sign-in and grab a seat

      Scot will discuss the advantages of cements blended using fly ash and
      other
      recycled material in place of virgin lime, and how to specify and use
      those
      materials. Cement is the "glue" in concrete, and is one of the most
      energy-intensive materials used in the construction industry.
      Prescriptive
      specifications, improved education, and small changes in your practice
      can
      ease obstacles to use of blended cement in order to encourage the use of

      environmentally preferable products. Other topics to be covered include
      the
      current state of the cement market, the environmental benefits of
      blended
      cements, and how to overcome the obstacles that will occur when
      specifying
      and using blended cements. Scot will discuss LEED credits relating to
      cement
      and concrete.

      Scot Horst is an expert in issues relating to new cement and other green

      building technologies and specializes in the development of innovative
      programs that promote the use of environmental technologies. Projects
      include materials specification and recommendations for a wide variety
      of
      high performance construction and building projects, such as U.S. Green
      Building Council LEED projects. Scot conducts seminars and workshops
      nationwide for architects and organizations on the complex issues of
      materials, corporate marketing claims, and how they relate to the
      environment.

      This lecture series is free of charge
      but we require you to RSVP in order to ensure adequate space for lecture

      attendance.

      Please RSVP at your earliest convenience (but no later than March 18)
      Include name, company, position, phone, email, and fax to:
      Darren Bouton - <mailto:darren.bouton@...>
      darren.bouton@... or (408) 277-4670