Fwd: Mar.13 Event: BIG, BIG, BIG HOUSES

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 11 5:17 PM
      fyi...

      ----Original Message Follows----
      From: larry rosenthal <lar@...>
      Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2002 17:29:29 -0800

      BIG, BIG, BIG HOUSES:
      Why do we over-consume housing, when the stakes are so high?
      Wednesday, March 13, 7:00-8:30 pm
      The Terner Series on Urban Development
      121 North Gate Hall, School of Journalism Library
      At the intersection of Hearst and Euclid on the UCBkly Campus

      In 1949, the average size of a new home was 900 square feet and average
      family size was 4.2 people. In 2000, the average new home was 2200 square
      feet and the average household size was 2.7. While developers and policy
      makers are often blamed, the desire for big houses is driven by consumer
      desires that contribute to sprawl, environmental degradation and forest
      deterioration. The home-on-steroids trend is more than a symbol of 1990s
      prosperity. Despite the consequences for the environment, keeping up with
      the Jones's has never been a more important part of our "more, more, more"
      culture. If a recessionary humility doesn't downsize our house desires,
      what will? Is there a way to build an aspiration for dense and more compact
      development? Can't we bring back quaint?

      The Terner Series on Urban Development
      Sponsored by the UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism, College of
      Environmental Design, Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy and
      BRIDGE Housing Corporation. The Terner Series presents informal
      salon-style discussions with faculty, industry professionals, students, and
      community members invited to attend. For more information, call David
      Slarskey at (415) 989-1111, or email dslarskey@....

      Larry A. Rosenthal
      Executive Director
      Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy
      F602 Haas School of Business, MC#6105
      University of California - Berkeley
      Berkeley, CA 94720-6105
      Ph: (510) 643-3507 // Fax: (510) 643-7357
      email: lar@...