Housing Action Coalition Guest Speaker - Keith Sugar: Oregon's Measure 37

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 7, 2005

      Dear Housing Action Coalition,

      This email serves as a reminder of the next HAC meeting, tomorrow, Friday, from 11am to 1pm at the Santa Clara City Council Chambers, ( 1500 Warburton Avenue , Santa Clara ).  Our guest speaker is Keith Sugar, former Mayor of Santa Cruz and current lecturer with San Jose State 's Urban Studies Program.  Mr. Sugar will give an overview of Oregon 's Measure 37, a voter approved initiative to require compensation to land owners if government regulations decrease their land value.  Smart growth proponents see the measure as bad, property rights advocates see it as good.  Mr. Sugar will elaborate on what, if any, are the implications for California .

      We will also hear a presentation on the Hitachi proposal in South San Jose .�  If you recall, we have previously taken a position in support of the concept of the plan.�  The applicant is now asking for an endorsement.

      The agenda for the meeting is pasted below.  Please let me know if you have any questions.

      And, the Legislative Committee will meet the hour prior to the HAC meeting, 10am to 11am at the same place.  All are welcome to that meeting as well.

      Thanks!

      Shiloh Ballard

      Please note SVMG's name change

      ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

      Shiloh Ballard

      Housing & Community Development

      Silicon Valley Leadership Group (Formerly SVMG)

      224 Airport Parkway, Suite 620 , San Jose 95110

      408-501-7859

      408-501-7861 fax

      www.svlg.net

      AGENDA

      April 8th, 2005, 11am-1pm

      Santa Clara City Council Chambers

      1500 Warburton Avenue, Santa Clara

      I.                   WELCOME & INTRODUCTIONS

      II.                LEGISLATIVE COMMITTEE
      III.   Consider Committee Recommendations:  Jeffrey Dennison
      IV.  MTC Transit-Oriented Development Policy
      V.                TOUR UPDATE

      ���       South County Tour , May 14th

      ���       Mountain View Tour, June 25th

      VI.             HOUSING COMMITTEE (11:30am)
      VII.                       Hitachi:  Cynthia James, Morley Hunter Group

      VIII.       GUEST SPEAKER

      Measure 37:  What happened in Oregon and are there implications for California ?

      -                                 Keith Sugar, SJSU Lecturer, Urban Planning

      IX.              OTHER BUSINESS

      X.                 ADJOURN/ANNOUNCEMENTS