Forming a new APA group on Latinos in Planning

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2005

      ----- Forwarded by Asha Weinstein/SJSU on 04/05/2005 10:29 AM -----
      Leonardo Vazquez <vazquezl@...>

      04/05/2005 10:20 AM

      Please respond to
      Leonardo Vazquez <vazquezl@...>

      Dear colleagues,

      I am planning to create a new entity in APA to raise awareness and
      address issues affecting Hispanic planners and Hispanic communities.  I
      hope you will be interested in joining me in creating a "Latinos in
      Planning" division.  I would like to begin organizing over the summer,
      and hopefully organize an event this fall at Rutgers University.

      Hispanics are the most underrepresented ethnic or cultural group in
      planning (when you compare planners to the population.)  Though there
      are divisions in the APA focused on African-American, gay and lesbian,
      and Native American issues, there is no entity focused on Hispanic
      planners and communities.  Though the entity would be called a
      "division," I prefer to think of this new group as a channel to raise
      awareness and bring new ideas to APA's diversity efforts and the
      profession at large.

      If you are interested in helping to form, and perhaps lead, the group --
      or you know someone who might -- please contact me by e-mail.  I will
      also make a presentation at the next  meeting of the Planners for Ethnic
      and Cultural Diversity Committee, Wednesday, April 13 6-7:30 at City
      Planning (Rita Barrish Room), 22 Reade Street, Manhattan.

      Leonardo Vazquez