Fw: Mapping California Communities Workshop: In Intro to GIS & Community Analysis (Feb. 2005)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 17, 2005

      ----- Forwarded by Asha Weinstein/SJSU on 01/17/2005 10:23 AM -----

      Mapping California Communities: An Introduction to GIS & Community Analysis - One Day Workshop

      When
      February 15th, 16th, 17th 9:00 am - 4:30 pm (This is a one day workshop.
      Participants choose which day to attend.)

      Where
      New Horizons Computer Training Center - 2540 North First Street STE 101 San
      Jose, CA

      Fee
      $299 (Checks, Credit Cards and Purchase Orders Accepted)

      Materials
      Comprehensive workbook (75 pages) which includes the presentation, exercises and reference worksheets,
      Demographic Data Resource CD, ArcExplorer map browser, ArcGIS (ArcView 9.0)software 60 day trial CD set

      How To Register?
      Visit www.urban-research.info or call us at 877.241.6576.

      Audience
      This fast paced, hands-on workshop teaches the fundamentals of how to use a
      Geographic Information System (GIS) in a way that is particularly relevant
      to social service providers, planners and researchers. Participants will
      learn to use a GIS to display and analyze social changes and
      characteristics. Exercises are designed for beginners.

      Objectives
      The Mapping California Communities workshop is a part of the Planner's Tool
      Box Series and is intended to teach participants:

      -The fundamentals of using ArcGIS (ArcView 9.0),
      -How to thematically map and analyze a wide variety of Census data such as
      income, race, language and housing data (including how to download data
      from the Census),
      -How to map addresses such as those of clients, volunteers, campaign
      donations and social service facilities as well as to identify gaps in
      coverage areas by zip code and other geographies,
      -Best practices of creating informative and well designed maps for public
      dissemination. Class participants will review and critique several maps in
      an attempt to learn good map design,
      -Where to get a wide selection of free geography files including zip codes
      and all Census geography.

      Lesson 1
      Learn the basic functions of ArcGIS
      Setting up ArcMap
      Adding data and geography layers
      Working with Layouts

      Lesson 2
      Introduction to American Factfinder
      Downloading Census and American Community Survey data to map
      Downloading free geography files including tracts, zipcodes, blocks and
      several others
      Preparing Census tract data in Excel to import into ArcGIS
      Lesson 3
      Joining data and geography files
      Creating thematic (color shaded) maps to display data
      Working with legends and interval breaks

      Lesson 4
      How to do common spatial queries

      Lesson 5
      Where to download free business addresses
      Geocoding (address mapping)

      Lesson 6
      Elements of good maps including colors, fonts and map must haves
      Critique of several maps

      Praise for the Introduction to GIS & Community Analysis Workshop

      Santa Clara Family Health Plan - San Francisco (2005)
      "Really excellent and informative. A great introduction but at the same
      time gave me real tools to apply right away."

      Alan Hancock College - San Francisco (2005)
      "I was able to learn exactly what I needed to get started using ArcView. I
      had taken the tutorial that came with the software, but this workshop
      filled in the "blanks" for me."

      State of California - San Francisco (2005)
      "This was an excellent introductory course."

      University of California, San Francisco - San Francisco (2005)
      "The class met all my expectations--very informative, hands on experience,
      informative instructor."

      New Urban Research, Inc. (formerly SmartGirl Technologies, Inc.) is a
      social research company located in Portland, Oregon. For more information
      about the workshop, who we are and what we do, check out our website at
      www.urban-research.info.

      If do not wish to receive further announcements, simply click here or reply
      with the word "remove" in the subject line. You will immediately be removed
      from the announcement list. Please note: under no circumstances to do we
      buy or sell email addresses.