FT Job - Oakland, CA - East Bay Alliance for a Sustainable Economy - Accountable Development Program Officer
----- Forwarded by Asha Weinstein/SJSU on 01/13/2005 12:20 PM -----
East Bay Alliance for a Sustainable
1714 Franklin St., Suite 325, CA 94612 * Tel: (510) 893-7106, Fax (510)
Web: www.workingeastbay.org <http://www.workingeastbay.org/> * Email:
Accountable Development Program Organizer
The East Bay Alliance for a Sustainable Economy (EBASE) is at the forefront
of the economic justice movement in the East Bay. We build coalitions of
labor unions, community and faith-based organizations to win strategic
policies that increase incomes for low-wage workers and empower residents of
low-income communities. EBASE has led winning campaigns for economic equity
policies at the Port of Oakland and several East Bay cities.
We are seeking an experienced organizer for our growing Accountable
Development program. The goals of the program are to hold developers and
local governments accountable for providing good jobs and community benefits
in new developments. The organizer will be responsible for building
coalitions to win Community Benefits Agreements that can include union jobs
with living wages and health benefits, local hiring and job training
programs, affordable housing and neighborhood services such as child care.
The organizer will also bring together community support for policies to
ensure that future development benefits residents and low-wage workers. The
position will report to an EBASE Co-Director.
* Convene, support and mobilize coalitions of community
organizations, labor unions, and religious leaders for Accountable
* Organize members of affected communities to take action.
* Identify, recruit, and develop leaders.
* Organize and facilitate meetings of community members and
* Perform administrative tasks necessary to the program.
Experience and Abilities Required:
* At least two years of organizing experience, preferably in a
* Demonstrated ability to lead groups of people and motivate others
to take action.
* Commitment to economic and social justice.
* Accountability to goals.
* Willingness to work long hours and weekends as needed.
* Experience working with diverse constituencies.
* Ability to work independently within the context of an overall
plan and structure.
* Willingness to learn new techniques and skills.
Salary range: $30,000-$40,000, depending on experience. Excellent benefits
package including employer-paid health and dental insurance, and pension.
Women and people of color are especially encouraged to apply.
Send cover letter and resume to: EBASE Accountable Development Organizer
Search, 1714 Franklin Street, Suite 325, Oakland, CA, 94612 or email