New email list on urbanism in South Asia

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2005

      ------------------------------

      Date:    Tue, 4 Jan 2005 17:57:29 -0700
      From: Curt Gambetta <cugambetta@...>

      Dear Friends,

      We would like to announce the Urban Study Group mailing list for
      research and discussions on urbanism in South Asia. The South Asian
      metropolis, like many other global cities, has been rapidly remade in
      the past fifteen years. The urban environment has experienced dizzying
      shifts in regimes of property, notions of citizenship/urban politics,
      and the very physical familiarity of the street or neighborhood. Just
      as we witness the new elite urbanism of malls, multiplex cinemas, and
      gated residential communities, we also observe growing counter claims
      to urban territory in a politics that is rooted in daily life. In what
      ways do people make claims to the city? What challenges do new forms of
      urbanism and urban politics pose to existing understandings of the city?

      There are many forums of discussion currently taking place in India and
      abroad on the city and its many processes. We hope this list will build
      on these existing local networks of researchers, students and
      practitioners. We are also seeking dialogue from other Asian and Third
      World contexts in order to generate new inquiries and draw linkages
      between analogous urban experiences.

      This list is a member of Sarai.net, based in Delhi. For more
      information on Sarai's mailing lists and programs, please see:

      http://www.sarai.net/

      Regards,

      Curt Gambetta and Solomon Benjamin, list
      administrators, Bangalore, India.