Walkability 101 with Dan Burden

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 21, 2004

      PLEASE JOIN US!

      Healthy Streets for Healthy People

      Best Practices in Retrofitting Our Best and Worst Streets

      Dan Burden

      Wednesday, January 5, 2005

      6:00pm

      The Little Fox Theatre, Downtown Redwood City

      $10.00 fee payable at door

      NO RSVP REQUIRED

      Bicycle and pedestrian expert DAN BURDEN will be speaking at "The Forum at Redwood City: A Continuing Conversation on City Design" on WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 5, 2005, from 6:00 - 7:45pm!  Don't miss this exciting discussion on Healthy Streets for Healthy People - Best Practices in Retrofitting Our Best and Worst Streets. Please join us for a provocative presentation on how to bring back full and vital health to our neighborhood and town center streets.

      About Dan Burden

      Dan Burden is a nationally-acclaimed pedestrian, bicycle, traffic calming and livable communities expert, having spent 35 years in a progressive government and nonprofit association career developing, promoting and evaluating alternative transportation and sustainable communities at national, regional, state and local levels. Mr. Burden is the current Director of Walkable Communities, Inc., a current National Advisory Board Member of Active Living By Design (funded by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation), and the former Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordinator for the State of Florida Department of Transportation. He has taught bicycle and pedestrian facility design courses in hundreds of different communities throughout the nation and has personally photographed and examined walking and bicycling conditions in over 200 cities in the U.S. and abroad.

      There are few people in the country who know more about traffic calming practices, access management, intersection design and other strategies for creating pedestrian- and bicycle-friendly communities. A consultant, planner, expert witness, author, trainer, curriculum developer, and a dynamic and energetic speaker, Dan Burden is a nationally-recognized authority on bicycle and pedestrian facilities and programs, street corridor and intersection design, and traffic flow and calming.

      On January 5th, Mr. Burden will be sharing best principles, practices and case studies for creating healthy streets in our communities. His presentation will cover how to do a complete checkup, diagnosis and overall health analysis of our neighborhood and town center streets to restore them to health. Mr. Burden will share the latest innovations in street design and new approaches to creating more pedestrian-friendly communities.

      We invite you to join the region's top planners, architects, designers and community leaders as they gather in Redwood City on January 5th for an exciting evening of engaging presentation and lively dialogue.

      About the Forum

      The Forum at Redwood City is jointly produced by Communities By Design (CBD), a local nonprofit, and the City of Redwood City, with assistance from MIG. The fee for the Forum is $10 (payable at the door, checks or cash). No RSVP is required. The Forum will be held at the Little Fox Theatre, located at 2209 Broadway in Redwood City. (Click here for parking information.) Doors open at 5:30pm. (Please note that due to State regulations, attendance at the Little Fox Theatre is limited to persons over 21.) The presentation and discussion will be followed by an optional, no-host dinner with the speaker at a nearby restaurant in downtown Redwood City.

      If you need any additional information, please contact Dan Zack at the City of Redwood City at (650) 780-7363 or dzack@....

      PLEASE HELP US GET THE WORD OUT! Please share this information with your colleagues who might be interested in attending.

      The Forum at Redwood City: A Continuing Conversation on City Design continues the FIRST WEDNESDAY OF THE MONTH, now through May 2005.

      For summaries of past Forums, visit http://www.redwoodcity.org/misc/morehottopics/forum.html

      Dan

      Dan Zack, AICP

      Downtown Development Coordinator

      City of Redwood City, Redevelopment Division

      1017 Middlefield Road

      Redwood City, CA 94063

      650-780-7363 (phone)

      650-780-0128 (fax)